• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

fermentation breaks?

Barrel Char Wood Products

r¡g¡dRºº$t€r

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2011
i've read somewhere about stages of fermentation being separated by "breaks." i cannot unfortunately find that specific info. i would really like if someone could explain these "breaks" and associated stages.

under the airlock i had a fierce krausen and the airlock was a wild gassy party, things have slowed down a bit now, the krausen is not so tall and the airlock bubbles about every other second. this seems to be one of those "breaks" i'm on about. i'd like to know which one and if i should do anything, such as adding nutrient, honey, or a refreshing colony of yeast.

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
Information from Newbie guide on sugar breaks:
http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1937&Itemid=14
Thread on sugar breaks:
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13678

From the newb guide on phases of yeast & nutrients:
http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=333&Itemid=14

be sure to read all of the newbee guide including the indexes, it covers a lot in great detail. While it's confusing at first, as you make your first meads and plan your own first recipes, you will reference it a lot and it will start making a lot more sense.

r¡g¡dRºº$t€r

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2011
yes. i realize the search feature is my friend. i'm not new to the internet. i had merely forgot the exact terminology. sugar break. that's what i was looking for. btw, the search tool has a clearly substandard algorithm and fails to show detailed results.

thank you for the help, if patronizing and curt.

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
yes. i realize the search feature is my friend. i'm not new to the internet. i had merely forgot the exact terminology. sugar break. that's what i was looking for. btw, the search tool has a clearly substandard algorithm and fails to show detailed results.

thank you for the help, if patronizing and curt.

My apologies, an unfortunate downfall of the English language as written is that it does not convey tone very well.

My response was not meant to be patronizing or curt, though I can't deny the short part.

r¡g¡dRºº$t€r

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2011
...an unfortunate downfall of the English language as written is that it does not convey tone very well....

no worries. i suffer the very same conundrum when attempting to sms sarcasm. there is also something vaguely patronizing about the title, "newbee guide." however it is extremely useful and helped to add a wealth of knowledge to my base making fruit and floral wines.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Hah, not sure about patronizing, goofy for sure though (one guy called it "gay" once, I assured him it was totally asexual! ;)).

One thing that confused me when I was a newb (I still consider myself something of a newb, some of the people here are so far ahead of me it's frightening!) about the 1/3 break (and other breaks) was whether it was supposed to be 1/3 of the total fermentables gone, or just 1/3 of the fermentables actually expected to ferment. Eventually I realized that either way is accurate enough, and since I make dry meads those two are actually the same thing for me anyways!

I do think that in certain high starting gravity cases the 1/3 mark should be calculated based upon how much sugar is expected to ferment rather than the total. This is really only in extreme cases though, otherwise either is accurate enough.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns