• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Too much nutrient?

Barrel Char Wood Products

PDonn63

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2010
Cleveland, OH
A few days ago I started a cider. I juiced 12lbs of Jonagold apples, 8lbs Cameo apples, and another 5lbs of misc. tart apples bought from the market. The yeild of the juice was about 1.25 gallons. I added 7 1/2lbs of brown sugar (I know, I know... but the honey stand at the market was closed, and figured this would be something different). I added the must to my primary, and added water to 4.5 gallons. I added 4 cambden tablets and pectic enzyme per package instructions and let sit over night. The next day I pitched 5g Red Star Cotes Des Blanc rehydrated in 6g GoFerm. After lag, I added 4g Fermaid-K and 4g DAP. I sanitized an aspirin container, filled it with 15g Fermaid-K and 8g DAP and added a little bit every time I aerated (2-3times per day) until 1/3 sugar break (when I just added the rest).

I looked through several posts looking for an optimum SNA schedule, and was getting confused. From what I read, it was better too much than to little I think. I am just wondering if I have added too much, as I am always questioning my process. Any help is appreciated.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
By my rough math you've added about 240 ppm of nitrogen. What was the OG of your must? 240 isn't off the scales, but the amount of nitrogen you need will scale with OG and you might not have needed that much.

Too much nutrient can be a problem, though a different one than too little. Excess nutrient in your mead/wine can be utilized by spoilage organisms after the yeast is done. Really high amounts have a flavor impact, though you're not high enough to feel that.

PDonn63

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2010
Cleveland, OH
My OG was 1.087, and from what I have read, Cotes Des Blanc ferments around 9-10% ABV, but can go as high as 11.5%. I got to 1/3 sugar break in a little less than two days after the lag was over. Since, I have just been aerating once a day without any additional nutrient.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Côte des Blancs tends to be a nutrient hog, so using the amount you have provided won't be a problem at all. There are some downsides to using too much nutrient - reduced aroma, possible sulfur odors, encouragement for spoilage organisms, and possible impact on flavor - but you aren't even close to those levels.

Côte des Blancs can be stopped early with cold temps, but otherwise it has an alcohol tolerance than can easily hit 14+% ABV.

PDonn63

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Thanks for the help, that puts me at ease. I had no idea it could ferment up to 14+%; I guess that's because whenever I use that yeast it is for a relatively low gravity must.

Another question about it though. I know that CdB has a reputation for a high odor ferment, but this batch seems to have a particularly potent sulfur smell. I noticed it first after lag when I went to add the first round of nutrients, then it toned back. Now that I am past the 1/3 sugar break and have stopped adding nutrients, I have noticed it is returning somewhat. Should I have added DAP after the 1/3 break, maybe up to the 1/2? Only other thing I can think of is that I may not have aerated it well enough. I areated 2-3 times per day up until just after the 1/3 break, but with a lees stirrer not O2 stone.

Also, since I hit the 1/3 sugar break, the fermentation seems to have slowed. At 1/3 the airlock was almost a bubble per second, but then slowed to 1 about every 9 seconds (two days after 1/3 break). Obviously it slows down, but does this decreased rate seem alright?

Last edited:

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I can't judge bubble rates as they tell you essentially nothing. Gravity numbers give you something to judge.

Côte des Blancs gets quite stinky when it is hungry. I'd give it some more Fermaid K or Fermaid O, and a good dose of yeast hulls. Aeration will not prevent sulfur odors, but agitation and stirring may help H2S blow off more quickly so I would do that. Hopefully that will help the odor to clear before it is finished fermenting.

PDonn63

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Just checked the SG - 1.003. That explains the decreased activity; I'm just not used to a fermentation wrapping up in 6 days. I have Fermaid K & O, and yeast hulls, but I am guessing that they're not necessary at this point? I will rack later tonight or tomorrow morning to a 3gal carboy.

PDonn63

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2010
Cleveland, OH
OK, so I racked last night to a 3gal. and a 1/2gal. carboy (will use the 1/2gal. contents to top up the 3gal. later). Fermentation kicked back up a little bit, but today's SG was .990, so I am guessing it is about done. However, the sulfur odor is still hanging around somewhat. Will this maybe dissipate over time? Or should I add something to the secondary to help out (I was thinking oak cubes might help)?

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
OK, so I racked last night to a 3gal. and a 1/2gal. carboy (will use the 1/2gal. contents to top up the 3gal. later). Fermentation kicked back up a little bit, but today's SG was .990, so I am guessing it is about done. However, the sulfur odor is still hanging around somewhat. Will this maybe dissipate over time? Or should I add something to the secondary to help out (I was thinking oak cubes might help)?

Everything I've read says this should work out eventually, however a second splash racking in under a week might be in order, otherwise the sulfur compounds can turn into things harder to get rid of that require copper.

I could be wrong too, I haven't had to deal with this much before.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Oak won't get rid of sulfur odors. I wouldn't leave it be either as H2S will convert to more-difficult-to-remove forms. Hitting it with some yeast hulls 0.5 grams per gallon may bind some of the sulfur, but if that isn't enough, I'd try racking it with some copper. You might try taking a look at this thread and the link I put there.

PDonn63

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2010
Cleveland, OH
After looking at that thread and the one linked to it, I am going to try adding Bocksin (I've already added yeast hulls). My LHBS didn't have it in their catalog, but I found a 110ml bottle for nine bucks online. I'll also throw a few other things I need on the tab to make paying the shipping worth it. Fermentation just stopped today, and I'm guessing the package will arrive in three days, give or take. I know experience with this product is limited, but do you think that that delay will make the additive ineffective?

PDonn63

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Actually this morning I got a call from the site I ordered from, and they said that they did not have the product in stock. However, they did have OmniRED, so I went with that. Thank you very much for your help! I will be sure to post my (hopefully good :)) results.

Also, just an observation. I noticed that the 1/2 gallon carboy I racked the excess into has no sulfur smell, while the 3 gallon does. I racked the 3 gallon first, and the 1/2 gallon second. Since I did the 1/2 gallon second, I think I sucked up some of the lees from the bottom of the primary (there is about a 3/4 inch layer on the bottom of the carboy). I have no idea why the 1/2 gallon from the same batch would have no sulfur odor when the 3 gallon does, but it is interesting none-the-less.

Last edited:

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I've used bocksin several times for this problem, works well. One tip - nowhere ever has "bocksin" in stock from my experience - ask for kieselsol, it's exactly the same thing, and everyone always has stock.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Actually this morning I got a call from the site I ordered from, and they said that they did not have the product in stock. However, they did have OmniRED, so I went with that. Thank you very much for your help! I will be sure to post my (hopefully good :)) results.

Also, just an observation. I noticed that the 1/2 gallon carboy I racked the excess into has no sulfur smell, while the 3 gallon does. I racked the 3 gallon first, and the 1/2 gallon second. Since I did the 1/2 gallon second, I think I sucked up some of the lees from the bottom of the primary (there is about a 3/4 inch layer on the bottom of the carboy). I have no idea why the 1/2 gallon from the same batch would have no sulfur odor when the 3 gallon does, but it is interesting none-the-less.

Might be because the last half-gal got more of a chance to offgas whatever's being stinky while you were emptying away the 3 gallons? Good luck with it.

PDonn63

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Ah, very good tip. I'll stop by my LHBS and pick some up; I'm sure they have some. I was wondering why only a small handful of online stores had it in their catalogs.

PDonn63

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2010
Cleveland, OH
So I added OptiRED per package instructions 10 days ago, but when racking today, I still noticed a strong sulfur odor. I added 3g of Nobleese today. It's a fining agent, but when added during or at the end of fermentation, it can prevent the production of sulfur. I'm wondering if maybe it will help with getting rid of the sulfur I currently have. Also, will bulk aging under airlock help get rid of the sulfur odor?

I also noticed, when washing out the carboy, that the lees at the bottom had the strongest of the smell; maybe the OptiRED dragged it to the bottom?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like that might be possible, if that's the case you might want to rack it again in a couple days/weeks when more junk settles out. I had a sulphur stinky batch recently and I ended up giving it a couple days without the airlock just to let the stink come out and it did mostly work.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
The lees at the bottom will usually be where the sulfur odor is strongest since that is where is gets produced.

Leaving sulfur odors to sit and age may allow them to form into mercaptans and later into disulfides which are harder to remove. Sometimes, because the disulfides have a higher detection threshold, it will allow the odor to improve, but if the odor remains, it is much tougher to clear because the disulfides do not bind to copper. I generally don't recommend trying to age sulfur odors out.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns