• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What have you been reading?

Barrel Char Wood Products

veritas

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 7, 2007
Wisconsin BEER Capitol USA
I had posted a thread about what people were listening to. I was mostly just curious to see what types of music people on the board were interested in and find out more about people.

The best part by far though was I found a lot of excellent music I was not familiar with.

So I thought here would be the same opportunity to find out about peoples reading habits genre preferences and Maybe pull a couple good titles to read.

The last book I read was rereading Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey

A non fiction book based on his time as a park ranger at Arches National Park
Abbey writes about nature his personal adventures and his take on society.
I love this book that's why I re-read it.

Right now I'm reading Terry Goodkind The sword of truth, Wizards first Rule.
Despite reading a lot of negative reviews I'm enjoying it so far.

mccann51

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 8, 2010
Southwestern USA
Edward Abbey is a great author. I unfortunately put down Desert Solitaire before I finished it (now it's a "someday" book), but Monkey Wrench Gang is a book of his I've gotten through and really enjoyed.

EDIT: his essays are pretty interesting too. I don't fully agree with the details of what he's saying all the time, but I think his overarching points are good and important to keep in mind, especially as we enter a world more and more dominated by developments and pavement.

Last edited:

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I finished an English translation of Swiss Family Robinson last night, and was surprised to find it quite different from the last one I read some years ago.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Reading China Meiville right now, Iron Council.

Right now I'm reading Terry Goodkind The sword of truth, Wizards first Rule.
Despite reading a lot of negative reviews I'm enjoying it so far.

I loved his stuff when I was younger, for the first few books anyways. Keep reading until you stop enjoying it, I'm not going to ruin it for you! (And stay AWAY from his website's forum, it will just make you depressed)

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
I'm reading 'The Sacred Made Real: Spanish Painting & Sculpture 1600-1700'. It's a companion book to a National Gallery show that explores the relationship between Spanish devotional sculptures and paintings. How the sculptors and the painters worked together to create 3-dimensional, emotional pieces. It's pretty fascinating. In non-educational reading, I'm rereading David & Leigh Eddings 'The Redemption of Althalus'. ;D

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
A relative came out as transgendered to me this week.

My reading has been dominated by their bio of how they got there as well as books to help family members understand what it is.

Yeah not quite what you meant :p

Vernor Vinge rocks though

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
"The Attack on Pearl Harbor : Strategy, Combat, Myths, Deceptions" and "Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway" and now I have to dig up my copy of Unconditional Surrender Grants memoirs and read those...

SandmanATHF

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2011
Indiana
just got done reading The Gunslinger by Stephen King, getting ready to read the 2nd one in the series. It was pretty good. My friend is in absolute love with the whole Darktower Series, so though I'd give it a go. It's a cool Fantasy book, I'd recommend it if your into Fantasy.

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
One of the best fantasy books I've ever read. My copy is in pieces from being read so many times. :)

So is mine! All the pages are falling out and dog eared. I tend to read through their books numerous times because I always find new things that I didn't catch before to laugh at.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Edit: RE Terry Goodkind, Sword Of truth Series

Reading China Meiville right now, Iron Council.

I loved his stuff when I was younger, for the first few books anyways. Keep reading until you stop enjoying it, I'm not going to ruin it for you! (And stay AWAY from his website's forum, it will just make you depressed)

Oh and Do NOT what ever you do watch any of the series "The Seeker" It is a grossly adulteration fo some fine books, and the fact that Goodkind was involved in it, and stayed involved in it has decreased my estimation of the man, although he can write good books.
I loved the series and read up until 2 books after he said he wasn't going to follow Richard and Kahlan (Well that was a bold faced lie - but probably had something to do with public backlash or publisher pressure)
The only reason I stopped reading them I caught up to him, it's a problem I have with a lot of authors, I'm simply not patient enough to wait for them to release the next book, so I put them in cold storage.

Edit: What was Richard's surname? For some reason I'm remember Cyser... which would be grand, but I think it's got more to do with my mead infected mind than actual truth.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Edit: RE Terry Goodkind, Sword Of truth Series

Oh and Do NOT what ever you do watch any of the series "The Seeker" It is a grossly adulteration fo some fine books, and the fact that Goodkind was involved in it, and stayed involved in it has decreased my estimation of the man, although he can write good books.
I loved the series and read up until 2 books after he said he wasn't going to follow Richard and Kahlan (Well that was a bold faced lie - but probably had something to do with public backlash or publisher pressure)
The only reason I stopped reading them I caught up to him, it's a problem I have with a lot of authors, I'm simply not patient enough to wait for them to release the next book, so I put them in cold storage.

Edit: What was Richard's surname? For some reason I'm remember Cyser... which would be grand, but I think it's got more to do with my mead infected mind than actual truth.

Cypress and then Rahl I believe were his surnames.

Nothing Goodkind could do could possibly lower my opinion of him, it's pretty much rock bottom... but like I said, don't let that ruin the first few books that were enjoyable (light stuff, but good light stuff).

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I remember reading the Gunslinger series in high school... back then I think I read every Stephen King book I could get my hands on!

Currently I keep going back to Mercedes Lackey (yeah, it's kinda fluff but I like the characters and the world setting, it's like watching a favourite movie). Recently finished re-reading most of the Xanth series by Piers Anthony... Most recently though, I've been going through the stuff that was loaded on my e-reader for me, currently re-reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman (which I'd be finished now if the battery hadn't died!), am also halfway through one of the Sherlock Holmes books, which after suffering through Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility, I am finding quite well written and interesting, and I'd be finished now if I hadn't discovered Good Omens! Yay, bikers of the apocalypse!

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
I remember reading the Gunslinger series in high school... back then I think I read every Stephen King book I could get my hands on!

Currently I keep going back to Mercedes Lackey (yeah, it's kinda fluff but I like the characters and the world setting, it's like watching a favourite movie). Recently finished re-reading most of the Xanth series by Piers Anthony... Most recently though, I've been going through the stuff that was loaded on my e-reader for me, currently re-reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman (which I'd be finished now if the battery hadn't died!), am also halfway through one of the Sherlock Holmes books, which after suffering through Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility, I am finding quite well written and interesting, and I'd be finished now if I hadn't discovered Good Omens! Yay, bikers of the apocalypse!

I ADORE Good Omens. And practically anything Neil Gaiman writes, American Gods is in my top 10 fave books of all time and the Sandman series is amazing.

veritas

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 7, 2007
Wisconsin BEER Capitol USA
[/QUOTE] What was Richard's surname? For some reason I'm remember Cyser... which would be grand, but I think it's got more to do with my mead infected mind than actual truth.[/QUOTE]

surname of Cypher!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns