• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

National Mead Day

Barrel Char Wood Products

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
I didn't know there was a National Mead Day, did you?

This year it's Saturday August 6th.

Looks like Brad's celebrating the occasion...

What about the rest of us? What are you doing for
National Mead Day?

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Well, looks like Aaron will be in my city the day before, so maybe we'll just pretend friday is the mead day (and pretend we're in the US? I guess... forgot for a minute I'm in a different country!) and drink a whole bunch of the stuff!

SpamDog

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2006
Hopefully, (work schedule allowing) some of my co-workers will be by to make and enjoy some meads.
We'll be making a Traditional, a Cyser, and a Pyment. We will be enjoying whatever I happen to have on ice, most likely my Pear Mead, some JAO, and maybe my Raspberry Mel.

Should be a good time and will be the first time brewing and drinking for some of my co-workers, I might change the date for more attendance, need to get as many people hooked on mead as I can :)

SpamDog

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
My daughter is doing a half marathon on Saturday, so no mead day for me this year. It's not as if I don't already have a ton of it already, though. :)

Echostatic

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Reckon I will take an SG reading on my raspberry melomels, try and rack my little 1 gallon batch again (I never can do it without pulling debris along...) and crack open the first bottle of my most recent JAO.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Hmmm... my wife and eldest son will be heading out of town so I'll be taking them to the airport that morning, then I'll need to repair the driveway that has been nearly washed away with all the rain we've had recently, and I'll also be feeding the rest of the family along with painting a bathroom on Saturday -- but there should be enough time for a glass or two of mead in the evening! (Actually I'm also hoping to finally bottle my Black and Blue Hootchie Koo batch on Saturday as well, but planning all that to occur on one day may be a bit too ambitious.) ;D

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
So Wayneb stole all our rain... Mind sharing some? Texas is kind of dying.

Nope, that was us Aussies getting some of our own back!

8 years we've been in drought whilst you hogged all the water, so out of spite, we organised torrential rains and floods that caused millions in damage.
(something about cutting off your nose to spite your face)
It's only been a year and ppl are forgetting about the drought...
Then they'll be surprised when it happens again.

Disaster after disaster, everything in extremes these last few years. Drought, fire, flood, earthquake, cyclone. I understand why some ppl believe the crazy armageddon guys wearing sandwich boards!

triarchy

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 28, 2010
WI
Ha, I had no idea there such a day, but I had planned a mead tasting this Saturday for some friends and family. Im having my raspberry and blackberry mels and a highly carbonated apple cider. I also am bringing a 350ml each of my oaked batches: chokecherry/vanilla, mixed berry, black huckleberry, and plum. Those four are young (4-6 months old) so I sweetened them up a bit. Should be a fun night.

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
Our club, Pacific Gravity, is having our annual Mead Day. It's come a long way. In 2005 the first year I tried to organize something at the brew shop no one bothered to show up. Last year we probably had 20-30 people there.
At our last mead brew about 4 months ago, we sent home about 12-14 people with a gallon jug of JAO and also made another about 30-40 gallons of mead in 5 gallon batches.

This year I expect another good showing. I'm not sure many will be brewing at this event, but there will be lots of mead, goodies to eat and at least some kind of a demonstration.

So if any of you are in the L.A. area and would like to join us, contact me directly and I'd be glad to give you directions.

Cheers
Jay

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
Things031.jpg

Raising a horn to Mead Day. Happy Mead Day everyone! (Sleipnir's Breath - A semi-sweet mead made with honey and a mix of fresh mint from the Brimming Horn garden. It is named in honor of Odin’s eight-legged steed, since it contains a favorite treat of horse’s everywhere.) ;D

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I'll be racking a few things, and preparing a few more things to travel up to S.F. with me. I guess I'll make a 2 gallon batch of Jamaica JAO since I'm running low on it already. I unfortunately can't do anything other than drink or make JAO with all I have to do before moving.

ZwolfUpir

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 28, 2011
Manchester NH
Polished off the first bottle of my first batch of JAOv also my first batch of mead I even maid, with my wifey. Sounds like a lot, but we each only got a swig out of it. :D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns