• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead in foreign languages

Barrel Char Wood Products

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
-----%<-----
Problem is, the U.S. has such idiotic laws about shipping into the U.S., especially if they don't have a distributor. I've gotten around some of that by buying a bottle of everything I find when I'm overseas (I brought back 3 cases from Great Britain), but shipping is pretty much restricted.

Vicky - who would have a *case* of Brammle liqueur if I could figure out how to get it to the States from Great Britain......
I read your post and it reminds me of trying to send a few samples/treats to "Mad Keith" across in Oklahoma. I did manage to send him a bottle of Absinthe, but he advised against sending stuff, after he explained about the differences in Federal legislation and the total lunacy of a lot of the various State legislation about booze.

As for your mention of Brammle ? I suspect that you must have done some excellent hunting for drinkies last time you were over this way. Damn I'd never heard of it and I'm only what ? 400 or so miles down the road (they're probably either crap at marketing or it's made in such small quantities that it's virtually never seen south of the border).

I'm curious though. The blackberries/brambles are in season at the moment. Maybe I'll have a go at making some, but follow a Sloe gin recipe, just change the gin and sloes for whisky and blackberries........ :p

regards

fatbloke

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hi Folks,

Let's remember to check the date of the last post before resurrecting threads older than six months.

Thanks all and cheers,

Oskaar

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
Bummer. I had kinda wanted to know where I could keep track of all the Mead in Foreign Language (never know where I'll be or when I'll need that info...) research you'd done, Oskaar, and now the old thread has disappeared and I can't recall where I found it in the first place...any suggestions?

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
Found it!
Huzzah!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are some terms I've heard in my travels. They will probably not be familiar in the main or hinterland of Croatia, Bosnia or Slovenia, but they are terms that I have heard used on the islands of Central Dalmatia.

Medovina - Croatian, Slovenian, Bosnian
Medovina Jabucka - Cyser
Medovina Tresnjacka - Cherry Mead
Medovina Kuskovacka - Pear Mead
Medovina Orahovacka - Walnut Mead
Medovina Visnjacka - Sour Cherry Mead
Medovina od Zacin i Trava - Herbed and Spiced Mead
Medovina Sljivovacka - Plum Mead
Pelinkovacka - Mead or Rakija treated with Wormwood and other herbs
Vlahovacka - Mead or Rakija treated with secret Dalmatian herbs
Medovacka - Brandy distilled from a sweet sack mead

Ancient Greece
Ompacomel - fermented grape juice and honey (this was common with the Romans as well)
Oenomel - pure grape juice and honey
Conditum - honey mixed with wine and pepper (this is quite good)
Oxymel - made from honey, vinegar, sea salt and rainwater

Ancient Russia:
Lipez - Mead

Ancient Rome:
Muslum - Fermented grape juice and honey

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
And here's some more from the original thread:

OK, here are words for mead in other languages that I know (if you know others, or find I need correcting, please let me know):

* aguamiel - Spanish mead
* balche - Mayan mind altering mead made with balche bark
* chouchen - Breton (France) mead
* hidromel - Portugese mead
* hydromel - French mead
* idromele - Italian mead
* med - Bulgarian and Ukranian
* meddeglyn or myddyglyn - Welsh spiced mead
* mede - Dutch mead
* medovina - Czech and Slovak mead
* medovukha - Russian mead
* medu - Old High German/Old Saxon/varient of Old English, Mercian and Northumbrian
* medus - Lithuanian and/or Latvian honey
* meis - Eritrean mead
* meodu - Old English, West Saxon
* met - German mead
* midus - Lithuanian mead
* miòd - Polish mead
* mjød - Danish and Norwegian mead
* mjöd - Swedish mead
* mõdu - Estonian honey beer
* nabidh - Arabic mead
* sima - Finnish mead
* t'ej - Ethiopian mead (since about 400 B.C.)
* ydromeli - Greek mead

Here are some other names for mead that I've found in my researches:

* madhu - in the Sanscrit Vedas
* nectar or ambrosia - in the Greek and Roman mythologies
* alu - Prussian for mead
* methe - Ancient Greek for mead
* mede - Frisian, and Low German
* metu or mitu - Old HIgh German
* meth - German
* melikatos - old Greek (morphed into hydromeli in present)

Ayinson

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 4, 2011
Belgium
Don't know if these boards will take japanese but...
In japanese they call mead 蜂蜜酒, which is read as hachimitsu-shu and means honeywine (literally bee-nectar wine). Though nowadays I think they find it easier to just say ミード, which is read as meedo (they do this all the time with english words:p)

Just adding to the list!

Reactions: TheAlchemist

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
What, no mead in Greece?
I couldn't find any, despite diligently searching.
The story I was told is that it's only made by home brewers.

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
Speaking of mead in Greece, their communion wine, very sweet, is made with white raisins...inspiration for a pyment?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns