• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead in primary for 10 months?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Bluedog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 7, 2010
I showed a friend how to make JAO last year, he left it in primary for about 10 months and just recently bottled it. I tried it and it was really good, better than any I've made. I can't explain it.???

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Well, the O2 was probably all purged through fermentation and degassing if it was done in a carboy, so that's fine. The lees may have just added a little lees character (not too much since it wasn't stirred I'd imagine) which some people like, and the fruit... well I'd expect something to go sideways in that amount of time with the fruit, but apparently the alcohol did it's job and kept it from spoiling.

EDIT: and did yours make it to 10 months old?

Echostatic

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I've heard of JAO staying in primary for a very long time on this forums somewhere before, and apparently it turned out to be very good as well. Strange recipe, that JAO.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I've aged JAO's and variations for significantly longer than the standard 2 months and only the green apple one tastes weird (although I don't think the amount of time had as much to do with the funky taste as the ingredients), and for my maple mead (acerglyn) which I've made a couple of times, I mix all the stuff together (includes lemon juice and rind) and leave it for a year before I rack it.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns