• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

JAOS mead crisis!

Barrel Char Wood Products

NeedForMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2011
Hi, I tried a batch of Joe's Ancient Orange Spice mead and it seemed to be going alright for the last 3 weeks or so, but I noticed some weird white sediment crawling up the sides. Is this just yeast or some kind of mold or something? I tried searching the forum for a while but didn't see anything related. Thanks.

Here's a pic:
IMG_20110918_133652.jpg

IMG_20110918_133659.jpg

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
that's just looks like yeast crawling up the sides no worries it appears everything is just fine

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
99.9999999% of the time anything scary is going to be up on top of the liquid/fruit - that just looks like sediment settling on the slope towards the bottom to me.

NeedForMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2011
Ok, phew. I thought it was odd that mold would be grown underwater and not on the surface.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Even if you see a white gunk on the surface, it can just be yeast and wax that's floating, so smell is generally your most important sense when looking for spoilage. I freaked out the first time my batches got white stuff on top, ended up losing a lot of mead that I didn't need to lose! (Well, I only tossed about the top 1/3 of each batch, but that was 6 1 gallon batches so it made me sad to lose it!).

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Don't sweat it, looks like what I call "yeast tracks", just some yeast starting to settle out and sticking to the sides where the bottom of the carboy starts to taper. If you twist the carboy a few times it'll usually settle down with the rest of the lees (yeah yeah, it breaks the warranty a little but nobody else will know).

huesmann

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2011
As mentioned, that looks like yeast settling. What happens is that at the start, the yeast falls to the bottom, basically sliding down the curved slope as far as it will go. Over time, the yeast collects at the bottom of the slope, so any additional yeast falling will not be able to fall as far down (because the space is already occupied!). Eventually, you have yeast "piling up" on the higher parts of the slope.

Also, sometimes a particle will fall and collect itself on a flaw or protrusion in the glass, and once it sticks, other particles will stick.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns