• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Spend my allowance:

Barrel Char Wood Products

MightyJesse

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 5, 2011
So I can afford one or the other this pay cycle: a GotMead patron membership or The Compleat Meadmaker. Which would benefit me more in the immediate period before I start my first batch? I eventually intend to have both, but I'm talking about the critical month period during which I intend to make my first attempt...

Are there any other books people strongly recommend adding to my crafting library?

(I like big BOOKS, and I cannot lie...)

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
Unfortunately, as much as I LOVE Gotmead and am carefully sacking away a bit here and there to get my membership (I am a bad bad girl who keeps spending it it on carboys and bottle because my LBHS keeps calling me for the used ones) I would say while you're still overseas and have intermittent internet access, the book would help you more. It will give you a background that the Patrons section might be over your head until you read up on it. I know sometimes I still get stumbled up on the more technical stuff when they really get going on the PPMs, exact additive measurements, and long equations!

Half of the people on the site, myself included, uses technical terms that the book will give you and otherwise will just have you running to the glossary 5 times a post. YMMV (and I promise after this last camping event with my sister kindred I will get that patron account!)

MightyJesse

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 5, 2011
I think you've got me confused with the other new fella, who IS overseas. I'm just your standard amateur nerd in Wisconsin. I have ALL KINDS of intarweb access, all day long, being as it is my job to make sure that the intarwebs FLOW like spice for all the people in this building. But your recommendation is duly noted.

What camping event were you attending?

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
A tough choice, there's benefits for both! Oskaar's recipes on the Patron section alone are worth the cost of Patron membership, because of the many tips and explanations he gives on why he might be using a method or procedure in a certain way in the recipe.

Ken Schramm's book is the most up to date book on the market, and when it came out in print it filled a need that had been around for a long time, since all of the other books on mead were dated in various ways. Ken is also a very down to earth guy and this comes out in his book, making it easy reading for the person taking up meadmaking for the first time.

If you're interested in other sources on mead, meadmaking, and related topics, you can take a browse through a bibliography I threw together some time ago -- you can find it on the general GotMead.com site at this link:

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=9&id=44&Itemid=68

--

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
Oops, thats what I get for being busy for a couple days and having almost 200 posts to catch up on.

As for my events, I am an active member of the Folk Community of my local kindred who runs the single largest Heathen event in the world, Lightening Across the Plains. I've been a busy busy girl helping them, and now I'm going to the fall event/wedding of our dear friends, Winter Nights. Because so many people attend for so many days, (and the fact that we are very connected to our Land Wights) outdoors is the only way to go. However, the camping fees, food, drink, gas, and gifts (very important to us, must not forget the gifts) makes my money VERY tight at this time of year.

MightyJesse

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 5, 2011
Haha! I hear you on the tight money after gas, camping fees, tolls, food, and unauthorized shopping. I have a camping event I do every August that I am generally STILL recovering from (financially) this time of year. Hopefully my aged food stores and finances will be back in order by Christmas!

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
If you're new to mead making the book I think would be more helpful, because it's written to explain the whoooole thing. All that kind of help you can also get here without the patrons fee, so the book and a regular membership here is a great combo for a beginner (much of what's in the patrons area will only make sense to someone who's been doing this for at least a month or two I think).

BUT - I do like to bug people to get patrons status, because it is really well worth it. PLUS Ken Schramm is a member here and there is actually a FAIR bit that's out of date in his book now (he's been working on a revised addition I believe).

Search out his blog postings on this website (menu across the top, or find his profile), that's not limited to patrons and has some KILLER stuff.

JSquared

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I have ALL KINDS of intarweb access, all day long, being as it is my job to make sure that the intarwebs FLOW like spice for all the people in this building.

Bonus points in my book, for the Dune reference... Walk without rhythm, and you won't attract the worm.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Maximum bonus points from myself given for Dune references (for obvious... or not so obvious reasons ;) )!!!!!!!!!!!!

huesmann

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2011
For the $15 or so Ken's book would cost, even if a very little bit out of date, it's a great value.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns