• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Extra air in the jug..... ♪

Barrel Char Wood Products

Boogaloo

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2011
Silver Spring (right outside of DC)
Mead is awesome! Ok, so my mead stopped it's first fermentation stage and I racked it into a new jug. I sampled some and also couldn't get all of it out of the old jug. Now there is a big space from the top of the jug to the top of the Mead, basically there is more air in there. Will this ruin my Mead? Should I just bottle it into some wine bottles or something? I hate seeing all that extra space and I thought air ruined wine.

The sample I drank was amazing by the way. Really digging this Mead thing now! Can't wait for the next batch. Going to use good honey for my next batch, not the cheap costco stuff. Also try a regular yeast instead of KV-1116. Oh and to answer a previous post of mine. I do believe I contaminated my D47 yeast with the KV-1116. This Mead is very clear and tastes 'dry'. Or does all Mead come out pretty clear? I'll try to post pics when I get home tonight. Going to do another racking. (and another sampling.. muah hah hah)

-Boog

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
It can live with headspace for a week, maybe two, but rather than bottle it early (its so much nicer to batch age), fill the empty space with fish safe glass beads from your local pet store. They won't hurt your mead and will fill up that nasty oxygen room. There's some other options too, such as getting a can of CO2 from your LHBS and blanketing the mead with it, or for short periods putting a layer of mineral oil across the top...I just don't have experience with the other methods. Do a quick search on headspace and you'll find lots of info though from people who do!

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
How clear is very clear? Mead usually takes many months to clear fully, oftn well over a year, unless you add fining agents.

You should be able to read fine print held on the opposite side of the carboy. Also, if you shine a flashlight through it, you shouldn't see the beam.

And yes, headspace is very bad. Try some searches for headspace in the title of the thread and it should dig up solutions for you, we've had a ton of threads about the subject.

Boogaloo

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2011
Silver Spring (right outside of DC)
Excellent info. Thanks a bunch. I really like that marble idea.

The mead is pretty clear. I'll try to post some pictures. I think it's because we had a cold spell here and my basement got a little bit cooler than usual.

Is it messed up now? I'm worried... :rolleyes:

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
The most important thing in making mead - stop worrying, this is not a hobby that benefits from worry! If it cleared faster it cleared faster, not a problem (I'm betting it will still get clearer though, when I first started out I thought some of mine were clear but I eventually learned they still had a ways to go!).

It'll be fine. :)

jon667

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 11, 2011
Portland, OR
hi-jacking a bit, but weighing bulk aging...

I finally got my mead to ferment in a month (through the advice of many at this site) and have a month on a bulk age thus far. I luckily had a friend with CO2 so when I racked off the primary I blanketed the mead...I think.
I got the SG down from 1.100 to 1.002 before I racked, so it should be medium-dry to dry, but I would really like to try it to see if it mellowed out (quite strong alcohol taste when I racked) and I had planned on doing some back sweetening.
My problem is that I no longer have CO2 and there is quite a bit of headspace, so I have to decide to fill with marbles, back-fill with new must trying to get the sweetness right, or moving to smaller gallon containers.
Eventually I want to break it into gallons to oak two, try some spices on one, and have one traditional.

My question is how important is the bulk aging all 4.5 gallons of my mead vs. one gallons?
Also, as long as I blanketed the mead with CO2 and put an airlock on it, is the mead okay to continue aging with quite a bit of headspace, or will O2 slip in?
much thanks!

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
The trick is that "blanketing" is actually a myth, yes CO2 is heavier, but it will still disperse rather rapidly, it never forms a neat and tidy layer at all.

That said, purging with CO2 works very well. So if you pumped CO2 into it for a little while (I honestly have no idea how long, I imagine it wouldn't take long at all in a carboy to get the majority of the O2 out) and have since left the airlock on it should be ok. There's always the possibility of some leaking, but that's hard to judge whether it's happening and to what degree with a stopper, so it's a bit of a guess (to me anyways).

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns