• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Had stuck fermentation, added calcium carbonate, what now?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Heathenlegions

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 11, 2011
Vista,CA
So my mead was only bubbling through the airlock one bubble every 14 seconds since I first started this batch, which was almost a week ago. Today, I spoke about this dilemma with a local brewer and he told me to purchse so fermaid and calcium carbonate. So I added fermaid almost an hour ago and just added calcium carbonate to my 3gallon carboys 35 minutes ago. It is now bubbling in the airlock about one bubble every seven seconds, about half the seconds it took to bubble these past several days. When will I expect to see more rapid bubbling?

Thanks

SRodgers

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 20, 2011
Pinebluff, NC
As most here will tell you bubbles are a poor indication of how mead is doing. You’ll do better using a hydrometer to check the gravity for a change to know its still fermenting and when it is done. For better advice you should post your recipe and process. Hope this helps.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I saw in your other post about corn sugar that your musts had 8% potential alcohol, did you estimate with a mead calculator or did you measure with a hydrometer?

Fermaid won't help all that much if the yeast has already eaten more than about 1/3 of the available sugars and the calcium carbonate won't help unless you have a pH problem. The additional airlock activity could be from the chemical reaction as the caclium carbonate reacts with acidity and makes additional bubbles, hopefully your must actually needed that.

You should know within about 24 hours if it's made much of a difference, but as Srodgers already indicated, airlocks are a lousy way to keep track of your fermentation.

Heathenlegions

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 11, 2011
Vista,CA
Hello! Yes, I'm interested in adding corn sugar to raise the alcohol content. The local brewmakers measured a sample of my mead earlier before adding the calcium carbonate, he used what looks like a refractometer and then he used what Im thinking was a hydrometer.
Yes, I had a low ph, tested the mead with some ph strips.
Well, the only other sign of visible fermentation is a bunch of little bubbles constantly rising up to the surface of the mead when you look close, then dissapears. I guess I will wait till tomorrow, I will let you know what happens. Thank you!

Heathenlegions

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 11, 2011
Vista,CA
Yeah, I should seriously get my own hydrometer. Will do soon, especially if it's the only accurate way of determining what's going on. thanks

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Well, the only other sign of visible fermentation is a bunch of little bubbles constantly rising up to the surface of the mead when you look close, then dissapears.

No matter what your airlock is telling you, rising bubbles in your must is indeed a sign of fermentation.

Heathenlegions

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 11, 2011
Vista,CA
You made my day!
.. I was very worried :(, especially worried that I just wasted 12 pounds of honey on these two carboys. THANK YOU , THANK YOU

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Next trip to the brew store, put hydrometer on your list. It's the only way to be sure... :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns