• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Clarifying after back sweetening?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Q2XL

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 9, 2010
I just back sweetened a peach melomel for the first time today. I have 3 more melomels to back sweeten soon. Obviously the mead turned cloudy after adding the honey. So, my question is how long, on average does it take for the mead to clear up again after adding honey? Also, how many of you use clarifiers for clearing out the meads after back sweetening?

mfalenski

Worker Bee
Registered Member
I just back sweetened a peach melomel for the first time today. I have 3 more melomels to back sweeten soon. Obviously the mead turned cloudy after adding the honey. So, my question is how long, on average does it take for the mead to clear up again after adding honey? Also, how many of you use clarifiers for clearing out the meads after back sweetening?

Just me, but I usually hit the must with meta & sorbate and let that sit. Then I backsweeten and use a fining agent after backsweetening. I also use a 1m and .45m filter when bottling.
No sediment in the bottle after a number of batches.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
The more general answer to your question is that it depends, but generally you can expect a mead that was clear before backsweetening to clear up within a few weeks of adding the additional honey. If you are more in a hurry than that, you can fine it or filter it, or as mfalenski does, you can do both.

Q2XL

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 9, 2010
Thanks guys! I did sorbate and sulfite it previously. All of the meads were clear before sweetening them, so I will wait patiently. It has been over a year now so I am not in any hurry.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Thanks guys! I did sorbate and sulfite it previously. All of the meads were clear before sweetening them, so I will wait patiently. It has been over a year now so I am not in any hurry.
My heather honey batch did the same thing, but after 12 months, the bugger hadn't cleared, I hit it with some 2 part fining and 36 hours later, it was gin clear.

MattHollingsworth

NewBee
Registered Member
May 12, 2011
Samobor, Croatia
Hey guys. I'm gonna piggyback on this thread since it partially covers the topic I wanted to ask about.

I remember some months back Fatbloke told me that backsweetening might cause a renewed haze (as you mentioned here, Fatbloke). So wondering how to approach this.

From reading around here and elsewhere, sounds like I should add K Meta, then Potassium Sorbate a day or so later, then honey a couple of days after that. But if it's caused a new haze, is it then safe to let it sit in the demijohn for a few months to clear? I also have Sparkaloid (spelling?) and can use that for clarifying.

This is for a mead that was made in June 2011. It's totally clear now, but I don't plan on bottling it for a few months, so thought if I can let it sit to clear I might go that route. I don't know if Potassium Sorbate will drop out of solution and no longer be effective if I let it sit, if I'd have to add more at bottling or what. I haven't seen this covered anyway.

Anyway, as always, any pointers would be great. Thanks.

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
Should be perfectly fine to stay in an airtight carboy for many months. It's even a nice way to help it degas if you twirl the carboy gently every couple of days. Even when primary is over, there's CO2 trapped in the liquid, and it can affect the taste if you're perceptive.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
From what I understand, the sorbate's pretty stable but if you do let it sit around to clear for a few months before bottling, you might want to hit it with sulphites one more time shortly before bottling so there's enough bottled to prevent any bugs that eat sorbate from getting any kind of hold, since sulphites do tend to dissipate over time.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns