• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

My first Cyser.... quick question

Barrel Char Wood Products

Boogaloo

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2011
Silver Spring (right outside of DC)
I started my first Cyser a week ago and it's still bubbling strong. Quick question though... does a Cyser clear up at all or will it stay cloudy from the apple juice? I've never made or seen one before. Thanks!

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
All mead has the potential to clear...eventually. It will depend a bit on the ingredients & process and your willingness to wait. For cysers in particular, you can sometimes have a problem with pectin haze if the juice was heated (and if you didn't press it yourself, it probably was). Adding pectic enzyme should clear that up. Other compounds can cause haze as well, but I wouldn't worry about those until you need to. The solids in the juice that make it cloudy should fall out soon after fermentation is complete, in my experience.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
My cider and my cyser are both still pretty cloudy (both started in September) even though I did use the pectinase before we got started. Sometimes it just takes a while for stuff to settle out.

youtzssd

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I started a cyser the beginning of October. I used sparkaloid and it did nothing. I added 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme per gallon as a final effort and it has nearly completely cleared in the last week or so.

Clear mead is a beautiful thing! I have many melomels that have not cleared after a year or so and I think the pectic enzyme may be the solution.

Boogaloo

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2011
Silver Spring (right outside of DC)
I started a cyser the beginning of October. I used sparkaloid and it did nothing. I added 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme per gallon as a final effort and it has nearly completely cleared in the last week or so.

Clear mead is a beautiful thing! I have many melomels that have not cleared after a year or so and I think the pectic enzyme may be the solution.

I took tomorrow off. Maybe a trip to the LHBS is in order. Thanks for the tip.

theedudenator

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 3, 2010
I make cider every fall.
I ferment with an english ale yeast.

It is cloudy every year.

I use sparkoloid per instructions, THEN crash cool it for a few months.

Rack and drink!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Chilling it can really help, sometimes I refrigerate the lees after I rack if there was a lot of clear wine/mead on top and it takes a couple of days but what I get is often much clearer than the carboy I racked into. I just wish I had enough fridge space to fit a carboy!

I almost always use pectinase before fermentation, haven't had much luck so far with getting it to clear things up afterwards. And I've got one particularly stubborn batch that has resisted bentonite and sparkolloid so far. Stupid bananas.

huesmann

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2011
I almost always use pectinase before fermentation, haven't had much luck so far with getting it to clear things up afterwards. And I've got one particularly stubborn batch that has resisted bentonite and sparkolloid so far. Stupid bananas.
Have you tried SuperKleer? That stuff is like magic.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I've never seen it in any of the local shops, next I was going to try a packet of chitosan or isinglas (whatever it is) that came with a wine kit.

Robusto

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2011
NJ
cyser....

Ok, first off- I am pretty much a noob, but in my experience cyser clears better than other meads that i have made. That said- I never heat mine. also I only use unfiltered, un-pasturized, raw cider. Also, I let mine sit longer than others think is acceptable... I don't know- I'm more trial & error than scientific- which some times works out better than when I actually try...

huesmann

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2011
I've never seen it in any of the local shops, next I was going to try a packet of chitosan or isinglas (whatever it is) that came with a wine kit.
I believe SuperKleer actually includes both chitosan and kielselsol, so it grabs both positively- and negatively-charged particles...probably why it's so effective.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns