• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Paper Bottles?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
I know the article says it has '10% of the carbon footprint" but what about the renewability of the process. I just know that paper is made from trees and glass is made from silica, one of the most common elements on the planet.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
It takes a LOT of energy to make glass out of silica, and you can use other things than trees to make paper. Like hemp :) or recycled paper...

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
One of the other major issues with glass is weight - to transport the same volume of liquid in glass vs plastic vs "tetrapack" or whatever costs/consumes more.

Comparing things becomes extremely complicated. One thing to remember too is that a great deal of pulp that becomes paper was never good wood, it's the sawdust and excess from cutting good wood into planks (which is why with paper "recycled" is a meaning less term, it's almost all recycled, what you want is "post consumer recycled").

Hemp and bamboo are the answers to a lot of the consumption problems we have, hemp unfortunately had a run in with cotton a long while back and cotton won in the courtrooms/politics. ;)

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
Ok, that guy tells me he's making the bottles out of 'post consumer recycled paper', bamboo, or hemp, or something else like that, I'm cool. But I"ve driven through towns in Kansas that had paper mills glose down 60 years ago when my dad was a kid and the entire town STILL stinks of pollution, chemical, and rot. Maybe paper's come a long way, maybe I just haven't done the research because of stories from my dad about how essential the paper mill was to their local economy, but how any kid that actually lived near their was constantly made fun of for stench.

It's most likely a background issue for me and I need to do more research...but I still can't see paper being that great of a recyclable when it's created from non renewable resources.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
They actually run a fermentation on paper pulp that releases a lot of sulphur when it loosens up the fibres (maybe they need better nutrients!), that's what most of the stink is. And you'd think wood chips would compost well but my husband's family has a cottage around the corner from where a wood mill used to be and the sawdust pile's as big as a house and has been there for decades too.

AToE, at Thanksgiving this year I collected the wine bottles and two or three of them advertised that they were lightweight bottles, something like 15% less glass to save on shipping and production.

Duracell

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 2, 2011
Near L.A. CA, USA
The real question is will it be reusable for the home brewer? I consider reusing my wine bottles for mead as recycling in an eco friendly way. They don't end up in a landfill so I'm not adding to the "problem".

Now, if these bottles catch on we have to look 10+ years in the future when real glass bottles would become quite rare, wouldn't you think? Then buying a case of reusable glass bottles would make you look like a non-eco friendly person because you're not using recyclable bottles!

Maybe we'll all be homebrewing into plastic water bottles by then anyway, who knows!?!

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Recycling paper is not at all good for the environment, which is why I don't recycle it. There are items that are worth recycling, but paper's not one of them. :p

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I've had some questions about that myself, but I have yet to find any hard data that really proves to me one way or the other whether recycling paper does more or less damage than just tossing it and using new paper... I err on the side of recycling it until I find the data though because so far I see more experts saying it's good than that it's bad... just not at the point where I personally understand everything involved well enough yet. Need to do more digging.

At the end of the day recycling is largely bandaid anyways, reducing consumption in the first place is far more effective (instead of buying bottles of water all the time, buy a few and keep refilling them being one obvious example).

Or as said above, keep reusing bottles for homebrew, great example of simply reducing consumption in the first place (as is homebrew itself actually, far less shipping pollution involved per drink, FAR less).

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Or as said above, keep reusing bottles for homebrew, great example of simply reducing consumption in the first place (as is homebrew itself actually, far less shipping pollution involved per drink, FAR less).

I was going to point out that in comparing reusing versus recycling, reusing is best in our case but not so feasible for a large-scale producer, I don't believe they're permitted to reuse wine bottles, are they?

There are a lot of factors to weigh, we did a study one time in university on which used more energy and resources, cloth or disposable diapers, and they came out about the same... just differently applied.

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
I was going to point out that in comparing reusing versus recycling, reusing is best in our case but not so feasible for a large-scale producer, I don't believe they're permitted to reuse wine bottles, are they?

There are a lot of factors to weigh, we did a study one time in university on which used more energy and resources, cloth or disposable diapers, and they came out about the same... just differently applied.

No they can not reuse bottles and if there is a problem with any wine/beer that has been bottled or if it is a shortfill, it gets poured out and the bottles broken and thrown away. We get a LOT of champagne style bottles this way from DFH. As homebrewers, I honestly think glass is the better way to go, but for a pro a bottle like this may cut cost.

Also, glass bottles aren't as easy to come by as some might think. DFH had run into a shortage of bottles because there was a shortage of the right type of silica - not all silica is created equal.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I have no idea about wine bottles in Canada, and I know in the US glass bottles aren't reused, they're melted down and remade.

But in Canada beer bottles are just straight up refilled. You can tell when you've got a really old one in your hand because it looks like it's been lightly sandblasted around the top and bottom of the widest part... this method is so far superior to melting and remaking that it frankly blows my mind that it isn't the standard everywhere. ???

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Back in the ancient times (when Wayne, Dan, and I were younglings) most bottles were collected, washed, and reused. Pity they still aren't. They reuse glass soda bottles in Norway, and beer too, I think.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Back in the ancient times (when Wayne, Dan, and I were younglings) most bottles were collected, washed, and reused. Pity they still aren't. They reuse glass soda bottles in Norway, and beer too, I think.

What happened to make it stop? I just can't fathom why they'd melt the intact ones!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I bet certain agencies have declared the practice unsanitary... all it would take is a lawsuit or two...

and I haven't seen an "old" beer bottle in years (although I don't drink that much bottled beer so this may not be a valid data point)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns