• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

using frozen strawberrys

Barrel Char Wood Products

spencer pearson

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
hey every one i am spencer pearson. and i have made mead before. and i was wondering if any one has used frozen strawberry's instead of fresh ones. and if so how well did it turn out.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Weclome!

Lots of people here use frozen fruit rather than fresh (myself included)- just check that it isn't all frozen into a block (means it's thawed and refrozen and may have some freezer burn) and it's all good.

Unless the fresh fruit you can get is very high quality frozen is actually almost always better stuff, picked at the right time and frozen soon - fresh ones are meant to survive shipping and sitting on shelves, are often damaged/starting to go bad, or bland frankly.

Some people even take their high quality fresh fruit for mead making and freeze it first, to help break the fruit down further.

Duracell

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 2, 2011
Near L.A. CA, USA
Welcome Spencer, in most cases frozen > fresh imo because frozen fruit is frozen at the peak of flavor whereas fresh is picked before it's ripe expecting it to ripen on the way to the market.

Farmers markets are often an exception but fruit can be damaged in transit or by handling at farmers markets. I sometimes buy fruit at a local farmers market and take it home and chop it up and store it in the freezer for safe keeping until I'm ready to use it.

One caution about using frozen fruit, thaw it out and leave some headspace for the fruit to swell. Don't add fruit and top up right away, you'll be cleaning your airlock for a week...don't ask me how I know I just know ;)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I sometimes buy fruit at a local farmers market and take it home and chop it up and store it in the freezer for safe keeping until I'm ready to use it.

I often freeze fruit until I have time to deal with it, unfortunately this often results in a full freezer. ;D

But there's definitely nothing wrong with using frozen fruit, the biggest problem I have is that frozen ziploc baggies I often use are easily perforated and it's hard to see where until they start leaking as they thaw, so I've started ripping the baggies off and letting the fruit thaw in an airlocked bucket so I don't lose any juice.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns