• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mold in airlock?

Barrel Char Wood Products

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
It happens from time to time. Some people use a neutral spirit like vodka or everclear with a bit of oil floating on top to prevent/slow down the evaporation, and the spirits do a good job of staying pretty mold-free. Otherwise, the best solution is to regularly change the water and clean the airlock.

Hope that helps! :)

Duracell

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 2, 2011
Near L.A. CA, USA
I use Starsan in mine, I always have them in Starsan before I put them in the bung anyway. I believe I've seen a pipe cleaner looking device to clean those S airlocks but I don't own any of them so I've never used it. IMO throw them out, airlocks are cheap.

web Search airlock brush and you'll get about 5 good hits right off the top.

Lawpaw

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 7, 2011
North Central IA
I use Starsan in mine, I always have them in Starsan before I put them in the bung anyway. I believe I've seen a pipe cleaner looking device to clean those S airlocks but I don't own any of them so I've never used it. IMO throw them out, airlocks are cheap.

web Search airlock brush and you'll get about 5 good hits right off the top.

I've used Kmeta. The problem with star San and Kmeta is that they'll lose their effectiveness almost immediately. Vodka won't, but you don't want to suck it in the carboy accidentally.

Braxton

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 29, 2010
Twin Cities
I do have some mold problems with those. It usually happens when there is some foam from the brew that gets into the airlock. That's why I've switched to the other type of airlock (three-piece) for primary fermentations. They dry out much quicker, though, so I use the bubbler style for secondary fermentations and long aging.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I've used a dollar store pipecleaner to get scunge out of the bottom of the S-type airlocks. Oddly enough I've only had one of those get black slime in it, the rest of the airlocks I've had go fuzzy, it's been the three-piecers. Oh, and a handy hint to keep them from evaporating? I put a piece of plastic wrap under the cap. Works with both types, recommended against if you've got a vigorous fermentation though. And since I started doing that I haven't had any go fuzzy either, I guess maybe it keeps the sulphites in? (I fill mine with my sanitizing solution)

jlerner

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 22, 2011
www.tactics3d.com
Some people use glycerin in the airlock - it will not evaporate as quickly as vodka, though I don't know if it will inhibit mold.

When foam reaches my airlock, I just replace it with a clean/sanitized one. Have not had any mold problems yet.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns