• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Fail

Barrel Char Wood Products

veritas

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 7, 2007
Wisconsin BEER Capitol USA
I threw a new mead together about a week ago used more honey than usual tried some different things a new yeast etc.. Stuff was taking off great. I wrapped my 5 gallon carboy with its blanket and put it on a small foot stool in the kitchen. I was concerned about the temperature in my basement being to cool for my purposes...

My kids were shuffling this thing around apparently they hit it against the cabinet handle or something hard causing an unseen flaw under the blanket because when I went to add my nutrients today the entire carboy collapsed. So there I stood with gallons of premature mead gushing into every corner of my kitchen and dripping through my hardwood floor onto my stuff in the basement.

Oh well..

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Wow, glad I didn't have to deal with that! Not sure what's worse, the loss of the mead or the mess. Definitely glad nobody got hurt.

veritas

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 7, 2007
Wisconsin BEER Capitol USA
Call me crazy but I like my glass carboys.. Just need to take better care of where I put them and how they are handled. Just glad no one got hurt I think that is in part because my carboys are always covered when in use. So what stopped me from seeing the flaw may be the same thing that saved me from a more explosive situation. My four year old was behind me when the tidal wave of mead began. I heard a concerned call of dad looked back to see her retreating to the fridge. Scooped her up and put her on the counter before her socks even got wet. Thanks Dad!

ken_schramm

The Compleat Sybarite
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jan 5, 2005
Troy, MI
Don't know if I would describe a broken carboy with no stitches as a "fail." I was not so lucky. Good job on the young 'un. I'd say that's more a successful, safe loss of mead than a fail.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns