• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Superbees!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
Also - I hate the term 'superbee' all of my friends have been saying that creating a superbee (or superinsect of any kind) equates to the death of humankind. Maybe I just have melodramatic friends...

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
I read this earlier and see a lot more smoke than light from fire. An awful lot of people are doing their best to develope bees who can deal with Vorroa Distructor mite. The bees have already learned to tolerate the trachal mite so it is not new ground. I can name several leading researchers and beekeepers who no longer treat for the mites with chemicals and are not claiming a miracle or a supposed superbee. These folks are just getting a good pump job from a local journalist and and I sincerely wish it were as much of a break thru as portrayed.

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
Aw, Vance, bubble bursting. I wanted to see a Night of the Lupus level of epic bad monsters movie with SUPERbees.

They're tired of producing honey only to have it stolen by bears, badgers...and MAN. Dun dun dun

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
I am sorry. If you loved Night of the Leapus about those huge rabbits---The closest I have is one hive that will sure entertain you if you are careless opening them up. But like many contrary folks they are hugely productive. Hollywood has made several BEE movies about killers with wings already! The real africanized honey bee is no joke and they do kill people and animals. They do not however fill whole stadiums or blacken the city skies! I am deeply saddened that a new bride to be should have her bubble burst by an ugly old man like me. I humbly apologize and you have a very Happy New Year!

tycoon

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 22, 2010
Santiago, Chile
Around here, a lot of bees are not resistant to tracheal mites. This last winter, there was significant bee mortality that people attributed to "the cold" or "no idea why they died", which I believe (with other people who know much more) are related to some combination of thracheal mites and nosema, as people treat hives against varroa (but not with tymol, which I understand it also works against thracheal mites, as it is too expensive).

I treat my bees with grease patties against thracheal mites and they seem to love the patties (too much). :D

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
Guinlilly's the one newly engaged, not me! (Though give me a few more months and few feet of rope, and we'll see what happens with my guy. ;D)

As for b-movie monsters, I love them all. It's one of my biggest vices, seeking out horribly horror movies and cult classics...you know, on top of buying as much honey as I can for making le booze.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns