• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Aging with solid stopper

Barrel Char Wood Products

cabeasle

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 11, 2011
Is it alright to age a mead with a solid rubber stopper? I was thinking that if I was certain that the ferment was complete, I could perhaps just plug it with a solid stopper so that I do not have to worry about any contaminants getting in, or about keeping the airlock filled with water to the appropriate level.

Any concerns with this? Is there a reason an airlock is a better choice?

Mars Colonist

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 25, 2010
Mars, obviously
www.facebook.com
I just starting doing this for the same reason, and the only reason I could see against it was for degassing purposes. I vacuum rack mine several times before bulk aging, so I feel pretty good about not having that problem. However, I cant tell you any results, as Ive just starting doing this (like, started yesterday!)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I've always just used an airlock because of temperature and pressure changes which could concievably pop a solid stopper out... that and I tend to use time rather than chemicals to make sure my fermentations are complete and I'm never quite sure if things are stopped for sure or not. And unlike Mars Colonist, I don't vacuum rack so there's always degassing...

My $.02, anyway.

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
I just started using stoppers as well.

I would HIGHLY recommend you make sure the fermentation is completely stopped and any residual gas has come out of solution before stoppering or bottle bombs could ensue

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
I've done similar, and recently found stoppers on the floor next to my brews.
I suggest making sure the water in the airlock is in equilibrium for a month first, and then stoppering it on a hot day, so temp fluctuations don't pop out the cork.
I found once popped, if reapplied, it doesn't pop out again. For the above reason I believe.

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com
When I know it's done fermenting, like 4-6 months, I use carboy caps. Many years ago 5 gallon water bottles came with a solid blue cap you had to take off. The place I worked at had them. I kept a dozen and use them on my carboys. Now days those all have a hole with quick release thing in the middle. :( No more free carboy caps.

JimSar

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 11, 2009
Vallejo, CA
Instead of solid stoppers, I've used the same drilled stoppers with the hole plugged with this 45 cent plug. Makes it easy with a bit of technique to degas without letting outside air in.

JimSar

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 11, 2009
Vallejo, CA
When I know it's done fermenting, like 4-6 months, I use carboy caps. Many years ago 5 gallon water bottles came with a solid blue cap you had to take off. The place I worked at had them. I kept a dozen and use them on my carboys. Now days those all have a hole with quick release thing in the middle. :( No more free carboy caps.

I've kept a few of those caps myself. Used one recently when a used carboy I bought had rings around the collar. Oxyclean solution, capped the carboy, stored it upside down, and bingo, clean the next day.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns