• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Lava Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

cabeasle

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 11, 2011
So, I have a traditional clover mead that's been sitting in the closet for about a month now. I wanted to see how well it was clearing, so I picked it up to hold it to the light. There was a thick layer of something gooey on the bottom that slowly rose to the surface with the effect of turning on a lava lamp. It was really quite cool.

Of course, now I've probably added even more time to the clearing process.... sigh... and yet another thing learned. :)

This mead-making business is fun.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Actually you probably haven't. As particles sit on the bottom they tend to stick together so they should settle out faster the second time. Keeping it stirred up can also (counterintuitively) help things settle out faster because the particles have a chance to get stuck to each other. The guys who have been doing the stir plate experiments are reporting meads that clear very quickly.

I've had some really cool looking wave action in the lees while moving carboys but never a lava-lamp :)

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
I generally move my carboy to the kitchen counter a fully day before their first (and sometimes second if the lees is especially thick) rackings.

My wife hates it, but it allows things to settle out a bit and creates a more efficient first racking IMO

cabeasle

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 11, 2011
Well, it's good to know that things aren't too terrible and that it should clear up again (hopefully) soon.

I actually need to look in to a second racking at some point. I racked it after about two weeks the first time, now it's been another two. Unfortunately, the first time I racked it was my first time racking anything and I lost a considerable amount of it. Just racked my second mead yesterday and didn't waste more than about 1/4 inch down in the bottom, so my technique has improved, at least.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns