• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Which category for a capiscumel?

Barrel Char Wood Products

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Good question. Since peppers are technically fruit, melomel makes sense. But since they don't taste like many other fruits, I'd be more inclined to enter it in the "other" category.

I don't know how appropriate metheglin is, since there aren't any spices in a pure capiscumel; just spicy flavors. But again, I think you'd get the best results in the "other" category.

Hopefully a senior member/organizer for the Mazer Cup can chime in with more insight. :)

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
26C. Open Category Mead

Any specialty or experimental mead using additional sources of fermentables (e.g., maple syrup, molasses, brown sugar, or agave nectar), additional ingredients (e.g., vegetables, liquors, smoke, etc.), alternative processes (e.g., icing, oak-aging) or other unusual ingredient, process, or technique would also be appropriate in this category. No mead can be "out of style" for this category unless it fits into another existing mead category.

I think it fits here.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
From my own experiences in entering capiscumels in competions, judging can be difficult. I'd entered a Chipotle mead in the AHA Nationals and the Indy International Wine Competition and did well -- Silver medal in the Indy, first in AHA Regional. The comments were very positive, good honey flavor and aroma, nice balance, ect. Then it went from the Regionals to the Nationals and did poorly -- the judges marked it down, couldn't taste the honey, too hot!

Judging a capiscumel can be something not that far from judging at chile competitions, you have to have the palate to appreciate the use and blending of the peppers and other ingredients, and be able to handle the heat! ;D

--

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
You may enter your mead in either the 26C Open Category Mead, or 26A Metheglin category.

Hope that helps, and best of luck!

JLindsey

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2009
Modesto, California
Thanks! I'm going with "open category." Maybe metheglin next time.

A side note: GotMead is amazing! I visit daily. Since I started in '09 the quantity of daily posts across the forum has exploded! Lots of interesting people, tons of excellent advice.

Thanks again!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns