• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

granulated honey

Barrel Char Wood Products

neilsdad

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 15, 2012
Hello, great site!!! Was searching for data to possibly produce granulated honey when I found this site. Can someone direct me? Also, as a man who cherishes Irish Mist and the like, this forum will consume me!!! Especially when I get high-speed internet!!! Any help is appreciated. I have access to very locally produced honey[right accross the road!!!] Neilsdad

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
You want to intentionally granulate honey? Turn it into something like surgar? What an odd notion, might I ask why?

You'll probably want to start with unpasteurized honey and let it get cold so it crystallizes, then probably not touch it until it's pretty much solidified... then I don't know, can you put a tray into a food dehydrator? Generally when I'm trying to dewater something I use gentle heat, but that'd just melt the crystals...

Or are you talking about controlled crystallization, like making creamed honey? There's plenty of info out there on how that's done.

Most of the rest of us try to keep our honey from crystallizing...

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
The easiest way I've seen to crystallize honey on purpose is to seed it with already crystallized honey. Whatever size crystal you seed with is what you'll wind up with.

Altricious

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2012
Glens Falls, NY
Don't you remember that experiment from when you were a kid where you made rock candy?

Honey is sugar. You can make sugar crystallize by creating a supersaturated solution (oh look, honey already is that). Then, a crystal needs a starting point to form. That's why that childhood experiment had you hang a string in your sugar water. The starting point, or seed, can be another crystal or a particle of dirt or pollen. The crystals grow from there, so the more crystals there are, the faster more will grow.

We accidentally made rock candy with some home made maple syrup once. It was yummy.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Ahh this makes sense, just like hail needs dust or bacteria as a nucleus about which to form.
Cheers for the explanation, I hadn't really thought of it as crystals, despite the term crystallisation.

Altricious

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2012
Glens Falls, NY
Ahh this makes sense, just like hail needs dust or bacteria as a nucleus about which to form.
Cheers for the explanation, I hadn't really thought of it as crystals, despite the term crystallisation.

It's precisely like hail, or snow or any other crystalization process.

There's obviously other factors that control the crystal size and rate, but the base mechanism doesn't change.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns