• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Useage of certain terms, possible additon to glossary (my pet hate)!

Barrel Char Wood Products

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
I keep coming across what to me, is the incorrect useage of 2 terms.

Aeration and degassing.

Now aerate is listed in the glossary, but de-gas, degas, degassing etc don't appear to be.

It annoys the hell out of me, when people mix up these terms (bee in bonnet ???;D). Because to my way of thinking (and what I feel is correct usage of the terms) it causes confusion, inasfaras, aeration would be the addition of air (or even oxygen) to a brew, to aid yeast cell development among a few things.

While degassing is the correct term for the removal of extraneous CO2 produced by the yeast during the ferment and causing what might be thought of by some, as possibly an "off flavour" as it's in the form of carbonic acid while dissolved.

It seems that some new mead makers (particularly if they have made beers before) seem to mix up these two terms.

I also appreciate that correct use of such terms is helpful for explaining the processes (and it's not just me being a pedantic git)

Perhaps, Vicky, Oskaar, or one of the mods could add a definition for de-gassing (if it's not already there - I couldn't find it) and flesh out the aeration definition, as it might help to reduce some of the confusion in explaining the difference of the processes and make it clearer that while the action might be similar, they're invariably done at different times for different reasons.......

I'll get me coat... :rolleyes:

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Leave your coat where it is, it's a valid suggestion to at least put it in the glossary, given the number of times this precise thing has been explained to newbees (and perhaps some not so newbees) in the last few months. It might even be worth a mention in the Newbee guide if it's not there, I can't remember, I haven't done my yearly Newbee Guide reivew yet.

PirateNigel

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 15, 2012
Guilty as charged. I believe I said I was aerating a batch and actually hadn't degassed sufficiently. My bad.

It does seem that their is confusion on the matter.

Fatbloke- I read your blog yesterday. From cover to cover. Great read if anybody hasn't read it.

cam07ds

Mazer Cup International Staff
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2008
Parker, CO
It would probably not hurt but even though I dont consider myself an expert when I brew mead I degas at the same time I'm aerating so..... (the act of WTC with a lees stirrer both degases and aerates IMHO)

Steve

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
It would probably not hurt but even though I dont consider myself an expert when I brew mead I degas at the same time I'm aerating so..... (the act of WTC with a lees stirrer both degases and aerates IMHO)

Steve

Agreed, but in this sense, degassing can be done after aeration is desired (ie in secondary). So I agree with fatbloke that the two need different definitions with an emphasis on the reasoning behind when and why each action is performed. Kind of like the explanation that all squares are rectangles (read: all aeration also degasses), but not all rectangles are squares (read: but degassing should not always include aeration). It's a stretch on the analogy, I know, but it's what came to mind. :)

On a side note, I think akueck would be the one to ask for an addition to the glossary, but he is still globe trotting, IIRC...soo...maybe shoot him a PM about it fatbloke? I don't know how feesable it would be for him to add it while in another country, but I'm sure it can't hurt to ask.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
You can aerate without degassing, e.g. with an aeration stone. If you mechanically aerate (WTC method), you'll pull some of the CO2 out as well.

NZ has internet (sometimes), so I'll plunk away at the glossary. Let me know if it makes sense.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns