• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Newbee here - first time brewing some JAOM

Barrel Char Wood Products

dmarti

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 25, 2011
Texas, USA
Hi forum!

Newbee here.

I have never brewed anything before but I have always wanted to. So, this year I decided it was time to try my hand at it. I don't really like beer and only in the past few years starting drinking wine and meads.

After combing over the newbee guide and what seems like a gazzilion posts, I've decided to start my 2012 brewing with 3 1-gallon batches of JAOM.

Since this is my first attempt, I decided to do the test batches and vary each slightly. This way, at the end of it, I can gauge the results better and see which one I like the best.

Batch #1 - JAOM
Follow recipe exactly

3.5 pounds clover honey
1 large orange
25 raisins
1 stick cinnamon
1 clove
Fleismanns yeast

Batch #2 - JAOM (warranty voided)
Follow recipe except leave out the clove (I've never been a huge fan of clove)

3.5 pounds clover honey
1 large orange
25 raisins
1 stick cinnamon
Fleismanns yeast

Batch #3 - JAOM (warranty voided)
Follow recipe except leave out both the clove and cinnamon

3.5 pounds clover honey
1 large orange
25 raisins
Fleismanns yeast

I plan on starting all 3 batches this coming Friday (January 27, 2012). I've been able to scrounge up the needed materials and I can't wait. My plan is to let them go the full term until the oranges and raisins fall. At that time, I will rack them into a clean carboy and add 1/2 tablet crushed Campden and 1/2 teaspoons sorbate. Let that sit for about a week, then bottle (hopefully no bottle bombs will occur).

I will then start the long agonizing game of waiting. I'm hoping to get 4 750ml bottles per gallon. I plan on opening a bottle of each one at the following time frames.

1 month from bottling
3 month from bottling
6 month from bottling
9 month from bottling

I'm not sure I can make it to the 9 month (or even a year)…but I will try. Opening a bottle of each one at the same time I'm hoping will be a valid taste test.

Since JAOM takes awhile…..I will also brew a gallon of Joes Grape Mead/Pyment to tide me over while waiting.

I've told my friends what I'm doing….most of them just have this puzzled look on their faces, but a few are excited like me. The wife, though, is all for it! She has no objections about me taking over the cabinet in our guest bathroom for "storage" of my gallon carboys.

Your's truly,

David
-----a mead making newbee

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Hi, dmarti! Welcome to the forum (and the addiction of meadmaking)!

Sounds like you're off to a good start, I've found the most important part of a successful JAO is the amount of honey and the use of bread yeast, I hope you post brewlogs and tasting notes!

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
I might catch flak for this, but I don't stabilize my JAO before bottling.

Generally you will have hit the alcohol tolerance of the yeast causing them to all die off, unlike where you ferment it dry and they just go dormant waiting for more sugar. In a JAO there's still more that can be fermented but the yeast kill themselves from their own pollution.

Getting into the habit of stabilizing isn't a bad idea either :)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I might catch flak for this, but I don't stabilize my JAO before bottling.

Getting into the habit of stabilizing isn't a bad idea either :)

To be honest, neither do I, but I usually leave them a few extra months after racking, and I always bottle them in flip-top or screw-top bottles so I can check on it a few weeks after bottling just to make sure.

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
Hi David,

Welcome to GOTMEAD?

I agree with the others that there is no need to stabilize JAO. Still, I did mine.

I highly recomend that you save at least a little, past the one year mark. Seems to be a magical time for all meads. It seems to really put a JAO over the top.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns