• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead in the airlock

Barrel Char Wood Products

cabeasle

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 11, 2011
So, I put together two JAO's two days ago, but I left some room for them to foam up while the began fermenting. I checked on them today and there really wasn't very much foam, and I could tell from the stains in the neck of the carboy that there had been more, but it had since receded, so I figured that phase was over, and I topped off the carboys pretty high.

Well, now both airlocks are filled with mead. Will this hurt anything? Is it better to siphon off liquid, or just let it go for a day and then replace the airlocks with fresh ones? I would hate to lose mead, but I would also hate to replace an airlock just to have the new ones get dirty immediately.

What do you guys think? I'm not really sure of the best course of action here.

HunnyBunz

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 29, 2011
Salem, OR
Did your fermentation perk up again? If so, it might start pushing mead out of your air lock.
If I were you I would probably try to siphon off just a little bit so that the must
or krausen does not touch the stopper. Mead is pretty resistant to infection, but the purpose of an air lock is to allow the co2 to escape while keeping unwanted contaminants out. If the mead is touching the liquid in the air lock it may defeat the purpose.
It's probably not that big of a deal, it's just my 2 cents, FWIW. :)

cabeasle

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 11, 2011
Bah, I went ahead and pulled the locks and resanitized them. Then I syphoned off a little mead from each jug. I am keeping an eye on it now, and hope that the foam doesn't rise high enough again once the pressure builds. Otherwise, more airlocks to clean :)

cabeasle

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 11, 2011
Haha, I have in the past, but alas, I didn't this time. It's only been in the fermenter for 2 days now, so I would essentially just be drinking fizzy honey water :)

veritas

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 7, 2007
Wisconsin BEER Capitol USA
you could always setup a blowoff tube. Place a hose of the right diameter in your primary opening then drop the other end into a container with some sulphite water vodka san star whate have you. Then just put your airlock back on once it becomes more manageable.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I usually don't top off for at least a week or two when making JAO... haven't had an issue with it yet...

cabeasle

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 11, 2011
Yup, I will certainly wait longer next time to top off. I have learned that no visible kraussen does not mean one can't still form with enough stimulation. Probably stirred everything up by the force of new water entering the jug and released lots of latent CO2.

I didn't loose much, though... just a few ounces out of each jug.

As another note, though, one of them is fermenting away with fresh ginger, but some of it is floating on the top and I fear that it will be oxidizing and turning brown soon. Will this harm the quality at all? Or is it just aesthetics and no big thing?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I'd break the warranty and give the one with floating ginger a swirl every day to make sure nothing's exposed for TOO long.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns