• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

how do you say carboy

Barrel Char Wood Products

cefleet

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 5, 2012
South, GA USA
car-boy or care-boy? I only know 2 people in Real Life who brew/wine make. One says you say it care-boy, the other says car-boy. Who is correct?

Echostatic

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Care-boy? Weirdo... Totally car-boy.

...Although, now that you mention it, calling it a carboy in the first place is weird.

cefleet

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 5, 2012
South, GA USA
wow lots of replies. Thanks.
I live in the south so to say it correctly with a southern accent I guess it will have to be :
caar-boyaa
to get the full effect you have to say :

That thar ista caar-boyaa

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
BTW - the etymology of the word links it to the Spanish word calabaza, possibly from Arabic qar'a yabisa "dry gourd", from Persian kharabuz, used of various large melons; or from a pre-Roman Iberian calapaccia. (Thank you Wikipedia - that way I didn't have to look it up in one of those large, heavy, paper leaved things gathering dust on my shelves!) ;) The same root is where the word for a large gourd used for carrying water, calabash, comes from.

(I know - I'm a font of useless trivia.)
:rolleyes:

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
They're all either married (smart wimmen don't let the good ones go unclaimed for long) or way too young for me. :)

Muslims didn't always prohibit alcohol, by the way. Can't remember offhand the particulars, though.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Funny considering arabic ties to Islam and alcohol being forbidden
Not really.......alcohol product has a few like that.

What about stills ? The earliest types are alembic, which is also of Arabic origin/extraction. As was the actual distillation method.

I also read, the other day, that its not alcohol per se that's forbidden, but alcohol brewed/distilled/produced from grain that's forbidden, which is why Tej produced in Ethiopia is considered fine....... dunno if that's correct, not Muslim and can't read/understand the Arabic.....

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I asked a Muslim friend of mine if the movie 13th Warrior was correct in that honey bypassed the rules "of grape or grain" but she said no, it's all alcohol.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns