PDA

View Full Version : Must Temperature

huesmann
03-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Considering that the dry yeast hydration process calls for 104-109F water, what temperature should the must be when the yeast is pitched? The temp range for the yeast (e.g. 15-30C)? Higher?

TAKeyser
03-10-2012, 12:25 AM
Looks like you are using a Lalvin strain of yeast by the rehydration temp. and I'm guessing by the fermentation range you have 71B or EC1118. I haven't seen anything by Lalvin that specifies a temp to pitch their yeasts. From what I've noticed usually people will pitch the yeast once the must drops below 80 degrees F. I usually pitch about 5 degrees F higher than I'll be fermenting at, but that is just what I do.

mmclean
03-10-2012, 12:30 AM
If I'm remembering right, just off the top of my head, within 10 degrees of must temps.

Edit:
18 degrees from the Lalvin web site.

skunkboy
03-10-2012, 02:00 AM
I rehydrate in water at body temperature, and usually pitch into must which is about 70 degrees in temperature. I usually ferment at about 66 Fahrenheit. No issues so far as I have noticed...

chams
03-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Lalvin states no greater than a 10 degree difference between must and yeast for pitch.
http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp
Scroll down to bottom...

huesmann
03-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Hmm, but then that means one must (no pun intended) take the temperature of the rehydrated yeast and the must.

chams
03-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Flying by the seat of one's pants, if the must is below 30C and the yeast mix feels about room to body temp. you'll be ok...

TAKeyser
03-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Hmm, but then that means one must (no pun intended) take the temperature of the rehydrated yeast and the must.

After I take the temp of the small amount of water used to rehydrate the yeast I don't worry about that temp again and just follow the instructions on the back of the packet. Most of the Lavlin strains tell you not to leave it rehydrating for longer than a specific period of time. You will need to take the temp of your Must though to know when to pitch.

mmclean
03-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Lalvin states no greater than a 10 degree difference between must and yeast for pitch.
http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp
Scroll down to bottom...

I think that just says, <10C.

chams
03-10-2012, 02:11 PM
I think that just says, <10C.

Yes, Delta (the triangle/difference) less than 10C.

Chevette Girl
03-11-2012, 07:25 PM
You don't want a large temperature difference to shock the yeast, to be sure... I do my rehydration in a plastic 2-cup measuring cup and it's pretty much cooled to room temperature by the time I go to pitch it, and my musts are generally around room temp... If you're concerned, add small amounts of the must to your rehydrated yeast every few minutes until you've got a similar temperature, then you can pitch it.

Loadnabox
03-12-2012, 11:39 AM
I generally aim for no more than 10Fi difference between must and yeast slurry. I don't try to raise must temp if the slurry is super.hot. instead I will add must to the slurry in half the volume of slurry doubling that amount every 15 minutes.

Generally this would mean 1 oz of must added to 2 oz of slurry. Double the amount added each 15 minutes until the slurry and must temps are within 10 degrees. So 2 oz of must at second addition 4 at addition three etc. Aerate the slurry regularly during this and it will help increase pitch rate too.