• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Spring!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
The last week (you know, where it was more than 20C out in March!) has been hard on my pony, who is desparately trying to shed her winter coat before she dies of heatstroke... mostly onto me, or so it seems. I bet she knows I'm allergic!

I'm bound and determined to get some stuff bottled so I can free up some carboys so I can fill them up again... hopefully this time making a proper dent in the fruit still in my freezer (small chest freezer packed with frozen fruit) AND a proper dent in my to-brew list... which keeps getting longer AND keeps having stuff butt in front, as opportunities present...

Right, and I should actually DRINK some of the stuff I've been storing. It's time. I don't think more age is gonna help most of it anyway, I've got some stuff that's going on 5 or 6 years old now...

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
I've been crunching my budget trying to figure out how to pay off a debt, get an engagement ring, get some more honey, get some more bottles, get some time to bottle things in between helping my guy move, I'm on the OC board of a group planning a festival in September which has us panicked (the convention space contract alone is around $10,000), I'm working with my kindred to make an open Heathen study group for the area, plus trying to find a new job...and the mead stuff keeps getting pushed further and further to the bottom.

It sucks when life gets in the way off your addic...hobbies. Yeah. Hobby. Right. ;D And people wonder why I don't have time to be PC most of the time.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
I've been crunching my budget trying to figure out how to pay off a debt, get an engagement ring, get some more honey, get some more bottles, get some time to bottle things in between helping my guy move, I'm on the OC board of a group planning a festival in September which has us panicked (the convention space contract alone is around $10,000), I'm working with my kindred to make an open Heathen study group for the area, plus trying to find a new job...and the mead stuff keeps getting pushed further and further to the bottom.

It sucks when life gets in the way off your addic...hobbies. Yeah. Hobby. Right. ;D And people wonder why I don't have time to be PC most of the time.

I've learned that you have to make 1 day a week all about you or you'll stress yourself out. Sunday is my day, everything else gets put away for the day and I do something that relaxes me. It's not always Mead, but it is always something I enjoy and it reinvigorates me for the upcoming week.

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
You folks who have no time, do any of you have a recipe that you yearn to try that requires a lot of ginger and/or ten pounds of honey turned very dark but not burned tasting, just carmelized by melting wax cappings. I need to get one or two batches of something going. I have one carboy apparently tied up for years by rocket fuel refusing to clear or mellow out and a sweet mead that just needs a bottling. In about three weeks bee season starts for me and then I will not have time. Now I do.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I've learned that you have to make 1 day a week all about you or you'll stress yourself out. Sunday is my day, everything else gets put away for the day and I do something that relaxes me. It's not always Mead, but it is always something I enjoy and it reinvigorates me for the upcoming week.

Unfortunately when I do that, I often end up getting nothing done because I revel in doing nothing, it's what I like doing best with "me" days...

You folks who have no time, do any of you have a recipe that you yearn to try that requires a lot of ginger and/or ten pounds of honey turned very dark but not burned tasting, just carmelized by melting wax cappings.

If you wanted to try something not too alcoholic that's done pretty quickly, you could give my ginger hydromel a try, I bet it would be really tasty with partially caramelized honey! I used about a pound of ginger and a pound of honey to a gallon and got something with about the burn level of grocery store "ginger beer".

Last edited:

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
Unfortunately when I do that, I often end up getting nothing done because I revel in doing nothing, it's what I like doing best with "me" days...

Yeah...that. I do that. Then I feel guilty about all the things I didn't get done on that empty, lazy day that could have been done.

And Vance, I went through my "to brew" doc, and I don't really see much with ginger. I only have a note to re-do my lemon ginger before I have people coming after me with axes.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns