PDA

View Full Version : Irish Moss - effective?

Boogaloo
03-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Hey everyone! Long time no post. Decided to learn how to brew beer over the holidays. I need something to do while I wait for my Mead to age!!

Sooooo.... I've been using Irish Moss in beer to help clarify. Can you use irish moss in Mead and if so, how effective is it? Not sure if it's the heat that let's irish moss work.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

~Boog

TAKeyser
03-26-2012, 12:31 PM
I've seen references to it in older recipes that said to boil your honey. Irish Moss needs to be boiled for it to effectively work, so unless you boil your must I don't see it helping anything.

Boogaloo
03-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Ouch. I currently cold stir my Mead because I'm scared to lose flavor. I guess I'll just stick to the traditional methods to clarify my Mead.

Thanks for the info!

TAKeyser
03-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Irish Moss is used for Protieins that develop in the mashing process of the grains for a beer wort. Proteins are not as big of an issue in a Mead must, but a geletin based fining agent will clear up any protein haze that may develop. Add it a few days before you rack for aging.

Boogaloo
03-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Awesome. I'll look into getatin based products. I mainly just cold crash and more importantly, wait it out. Thanks again.

TAKeyser
03-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Awesome. I'll look into getatin based products. I mainly just cold crash and more importantly, wait it out. Thanks again.

Patience works for protein as well so your waiting it out works :)
Look for a product called Sparkolloid (think I spelled that right)