• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

JAO Fruit Won't Drop

Barrel Char Wood Products

brewed4you

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2011
Hi everyone! Thanks to all the awesome info here I have a finished and cleared 2.5 gallon batch of JAO sitting in my pantry.
However, the fruit doesn't seem to be dropping as quickly as I expected.

The fermentation stopped well over a month ago (might even be 2 by now, I forget), it has been fully cleared for at least a month now as well but less than a quarter of my fruit has dropped.
As far as I can tell the mead seems to be fully degassed (no bubbles if I knock on the carboy).

Initially a few orange slices and raisins dropped, then they went back up, then a few more dropped and it hasn't moved since. It's been at least a couple of weeks since it has done anything at all.

I was wondering what I should do? I want to try my mead!

Also, the guy at the brewing store where I picked up my racking cane and hose told me it's ok to just suck on the end of the hose to get the flow started, is this true? I was under the impression that I could contaminate my batch by doing that.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Just for the record this batch was started just before Christmas so it should definitely be done by now from what I've read.

Honey

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 31, 2012
Hey - can't reply re fruit drop, but re sucking on hoses there's a current discussion going on the subject in the "siphon starting" thread. :)

Honey

Sadie Lady

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 10, 2011
South Carolina
Here's another thread right now: Racking the Mead

I have a JAO, but not as old as yours, 2 months I believe. No fruit has dropped, going to give it another week. I think the original directions say you can wait till the fruit drops, but don't have too. Can you take a small sample of it to taste? If you like the taste, I think you can put a little filter over the end of the racking device and move it down past the fruit, then rack without getting a lot of stuff in your bottles.

Search on filter, lots of different ideas out there about what to put on the end of the hose to filter.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I usually find the fruit drops a week or two after it clears, but if yours has been clear for a month it might be being extra stubborn! Although, if some of the fruit has fallen, the rest will probably follow suit within a couple more weeks.

If you're going to be impatient, I'd recommend you either rack or strain it into another container and let everything settle out again, or if you want to try to bottle it straight from where it is now, swirl it around for a few minutes and then leave it alone for a couple of days first - this will help dislodge any carbon dioxide and loose yeast from the fruit, it might get the fruit to sink as a result but even if it doesn't it will prevent all kinds of yeast from falling off the fruit if you try to stick a racking cane or hose end down past the floaties. If you just want a taste so you can stop obsessing about it, grab the turkey baster and fish yourself out a little sample :)

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
We often read a recipe like JAO and take the suggested timescale as gospel. Forgetting that the yeast is also a natural organism.

Just because its not behaving to a human time frame, you just need patience.

Joe alludes to it being drinkable once the fruit has dropped, I've never found that. I age mine for at least 6 months....

crowquill

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 13, 2008
Syracuse NY
I find it generally takes about 4 months for the fruit to drop in my JAO batches. I've always waited for the fruit to drop and I've never been disappointed in the results.

If you're feeling impatient, instead of bottling it early I suggest starting another batch. You'll be glad you did.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
+1 on the making more.

The more you have on hand the easier it is to keep a couple bottles from each batch for a long term aging.

Robusto

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2011
NJ
We often read a recipe like JAO and take the suggested timescale as gospel. Forgetting that the yeast is also a natural organism

+1 to that-

also, the fruit used can vary wildy in water content. Temp can also affect the bouancy of the fruit, as can the level of disolved CO2 in the mead.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns