• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

4 Week Quick Cyser Stabilization Difficulties

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mr. P

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2012
Central Indiana, USA
Greetings to the Hive!

I recently started a gallon of the 4 Week Cyser recipe located here:
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7449&highlight=quick+cyser&page=4

I followed the recipe except for the stabilization additions. The recipe states to cold crash the cyser for 2-3 days once it reaches an SG of 1.017. Afterwards add 1 ½ tsp Sorbistate K and 1 crushed Campden tab.

I didn’t have those ingredients so instead I added ½ tsp potassium sorbate and 1/16 tsp potassium metabisulphite.

Per the recipe’s instructions I then left the carboy at room temperature (with the intent to let it clear for 3 weeks). I had to go out of town on a business trip for 2 ½ days. When I returned things were happily fermenting away again as if I never attempted to stabilize it.

Did I not add enough stabilizers or perhaps the wrong ones? Perhaps the stabilizers need more time?

To buy me some time I promptly put the carboy back in the fridge and typed up this post.

Looking for help,
Paul

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Sorbistat K is indeed just potassium sorbate. So you can use those at the same dosage.

From here, you can see that you needed to add more sulfite as well.

So, correct chemicals but just not enough of them. Hit it harder and it should work. I would recommend adding the full amount of sulfite (as your first addition has probably worn off by now) but only the extra 1 tsp of sorbate.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
No problem!

I made that mead as well (my first!). I think it would have been better slightly drier, so you'll have to let us know where it finishes and how it is.

Mars Colonist

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 25, 2010
Mars, obviously
www.facebook.com
Im assuming you racked off the yeast after you cold crashed it, and then added the Kmeta and Ksorbate.... or did you just add the Kmeta and Ksorbate to the cyser while on the yeast cake? It wasnt clear the way it was written.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns