• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

A very informative site

Barrel Char Wood Products

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
At first glance this really looks like a great site. I'm going to have to spend some time there. Lots of recipes. I'm sure most of them can be adapted to use honey in place of the sugar.

Much Thanks!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Yep, when I can't find info on using a specific fruit either here or in my books, that's the next place I check to get an idea on how much to use, how to prepare it, whether it needs tannin or pectinase and how acidic it's likely to be. I first found out about it on the first wine forum I joined (now defunct) that eventually led me here... I remember this one member there, all he would ever do to answer someone's question is parrot things word for word from Jack Keller's site as if it were the Gospel, but in CAPS LOCK, as if caps lock made it all better somehow because he had to retype it (back then, automatic case converters in word processors weren't as common) :)

You just have to keep in mind that there are some modifications specific to meads...

Pound for pound, you need a little more honey than the recommended amount of sugar (because of honey's water content), but knowing that you're usually aiming for a speficic gravity in the neighbourhood of 1.100 (+/- .020) for most fruit wines can help you dial it in exactly if you're not happy with approximates.

You also may want to decrease the amount of fruit a little bit if you want the honey to show, but there really aren't rules for that, it comes down to your specific ingredients and your own personal taste.

Acid additions may be necessary for fruit wines to make the must mimic a grape juice must as closely as possible (because that's what most of the wine research has been based on), but honey has its own acid so you shouldn't need to add more at the beginning for melomels, and doing so may even cause pH problems.

Honey does not need to be boiled or pasteurized, in fact it's commonly held that this drives off some of the more delicate flavours and odours, so if you're really concerned about anything that might be in it, just follow Jack Keller's recommendation to hit it with a campden tablet 24 hours before pitching (12 hours before pectinase).

And I don't recall whether he advises energizers as well as nutrients or just nutrients, and definitely no staggered nutrient schedule like the current trend among the folks here.

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns