• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Not sure whats going on?

Barrel Char Wood Products

ComradeThePirate89

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2012
my batch consists of this:

15lbs of Wildflower Honey
5-6 Gallons of Distilled water
LALVIN 71B-1122 “NARBONNE” Dry Yeast
Lalvin Energizer
(Basiclly Northern Brewers "Curt & Kathy's Sweet Mead Kit" with an extra gallon of water)

The OG was 1.095, 6/26.
Very strong fermentation until a few days ago. Then it tapered off into virtually nothing. i just took another Gravity reading and it was at about .997. This is my second batch (first being a Dry plain mead) so i dont have very much experience under my belt. Any ideas about whats going on?

(just added it now) almost for got an important detail too! :p its only been fermenting about a week and a half too.

Last edited:

Mars Colonist

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 25, 2010
Mars, obviously
www.facebook.com
At .997, that's about as far as it will go. What is the problem? That it went so fast?

Maybe you were expecting it to be a sweet mead? I think your extra gallon of water diluted the starting gravity and it chowed down on all the sugar, going dry.

Last edited:

ComradeThePirate89

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2012
Kind of, yah. It's kind of a fast working mead, but how much of the flavor would be present in a sweet mead at this stage do you think? I tasted it too and it was pretty bland; not much taste of sweetness and a slight burn. Would you say its progressing normally? When i tasted my Dry mead 1st batch about at this stage it tasted pretty close to final product, minus the taste the aging gave it.

ComradeThePirate89

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2012
Maybe you were expecting it to be a sweet mead? I think your extra gallon of water diluted the starting gravity and it chowed down on all the sugar, going dry.

I'm starting to think that's what happened. Do you think like another 3lbs of honey and some energizer/nutrient would jump start it and get it back to being a sweeter mead?

Mars Colonist

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 25, 2010
Mars, obviously
www.facebook.com
I'm starting to think that's what happened. Do you think like another 3lbs of honey and some energizer/nutrient would jump start it and get it back to being a sweeter mead?

No, actually you need to stabilize it and backsweeten if you want it sweet, not continue fermentation.

Let it sit a couple of days. Rack off the lees and onto .25 tsp potassium metabisulphite (KMeta) and 2.5 tsp potassium sorbate (Ksorbate). Then you add your honey to make it sweeter. How much honey, you might ask? How sweet do you want it?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns