• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Spicing ideas?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Leeham991

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 11, 2012
Lincoln - UK
Hey

I had to get 5 one gallon carboys for my mead instead of 2 larger carboys like I'd hoped, but thinking about it this gives me the chance to put some spices into my mead for secondary. I think I'll leave 2/3 carboys plain and maybe spice the others. Only trouble is I've looked around and I can't really figure out what would be nice.
I don't want to add fruit to it, though I think you have to do that in primary anyway, and I've never had a spiced mead before.
I have in my house clove and cinnamon, which I know are popular, and I have a bunch of other stuff and of course can go out and buy more spices.

Anyway, ideas? Recommendations?

Cheers

Altricious

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2012
Glens Falls, NY
I split a 5 gallon into 5 one gallon batches. Fruit is not limited to primary, you'll just continue to ferment a little.

1 - 1 container of grape juice concentrate
2 - ~ 2 lbs of mixed black caps and mulberries (it's a wonderful dark color)
3 - 2 split vanilla beans
4 & 5 are chocolate comparisons. One with nibs and one with cocoa powder.

You should pretty much pick whatever flavors appeal to you. Mead goes with everything.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I had a curry & lime mead at Mazer Cup 2011, that was actually pretty good. Ginger & lemon is a good combo. And I've always wanted to play around with black pepper.

Basically, if you like it in food, you can try it in mead. Be aware that sometimes a little goes a long way, and you can always add more later but you can't take it out.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON

I tried one with fresh sage. It's very potently sage-y and I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but I want to do a rosemary one, and coriander, and cardamon.

and of course I'm intrugued by the curry lime. damn to-brew list...

Honeybadgers

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 15, 2012
I did two cloves per 1 gallon in my first batch - first taste after 1.5 months fermenting is VERY clove-y. I'd suggest dialing it down to 1 whole clove per gallon

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns