• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Newbee needs help: Jao Mead to sweet

Barrel Char Wood Products

Gex1983

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 9, 2012
I just racked my mead for the first time after 3 months. I followed the Jao mead recipe and the mead is way to sweet for my taste. There has been no airlock action for 2 weeks. Can I pitch another strain or yeast to eat some of the excess honey? If I can do I need to give the yeast some energizer or yeast nutrients? I knew the Jao recipe was sweet but it's to sweet for me any help from some season mead brewer would be greatly appreciated.

Riverat

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
You could try making another JAO, but with less honey ( 2 1/2 or so? ) to make a dry version, blend those to taste, but the dry version is reported not to taste very good. You could even make a dryer traditional bread yeast mead with just the rasins as a blender. I've played around with a traditional, in a 4 liter jug and 3 pounds of honey and it's not too sweet but either will call for longer aging

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the forum, Gex1983!

Just pitching a yeast that has a higher tolerance into an already fermented must might not do the trick, it's already fairly alcoholic and not very nice for fresh yeast. If you can be patient, Riverat's suggestion is sound, if you make a second batch with 2.5 lb honey (good number, that's right around 12% which is usually about where bread yeast calls it quits) then you can blend it until you get something you like, and then from the proportions, you might be able to figure out a good amount of honey for the next time you make it...

If you were to make a traditional and blend it, you'd want to make sure you stabilize both batches with sulphites and sorbate, just in case the wine yeast in the finished traditional kick up and keep going (because yeast never listen, they won't ferment when you want them to, they won't stop when you want them to...), JAO's gone dry are reportedly quite gross.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns