• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Decided to start my 3rd batch of mead... ran into somewhat of a conundrum.

Barrel Char Wood Products

762by54r

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2011
So I just got finished my 3rd batch of mead, and wanted to try a more traditional one. 1 gallon size, 3 1/4 pounds of paw paw honey (a 1/4# of which was crystalized).

Everything was going well, sanitized, dissolved the honey in some of the water.

However, when I went to take the hydrometer reading (this is my first time using this device, as my first two batches were a JAOM and then my own recipe based on JAOM) reading per instructions it is saying 1.46 on the hydrometer below the meniscus line.

Perhaps I am reading it incorrectly or something else... but from what I have gathered 3 pounds of honey per 1 gallon shouldn't read that high. Maybe the crystalized honey would factor for such a high reading, but since I do not know, I come to you fine folks for some assistance.

I tried googling and searching for a topic like this, but couldn't find anything pertaining to my specific problem, so I apologize if this has been covered before.

I decided to just go ahead and pitch the yeast and see how it turns out, if it turns out good well then 'yay" if it doesn't I will chalk it up to a learning experience.

762by54r

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2011
After more or less staring at my hydrometer, I am lead to believe I am reading it wrong and that's it.

Here is a picture of my hydrometer, and I have added an arrow showing where the measurement read. I guess what is throwing me, is how you add the measurement. When I was first reading it, I was seeing 1.100 + 40 = 1.400, but now that I am thinking about it more, 1.100 + 40 = 1.140 would make more sense.
So to get to the nit and gritty, my initial perceived reading was 1.46, but rethinking it I am now going with 1.146.
I guess the question is, which of my interpretations of the reading is correct?

Thank you for your help and time on this matter.
IMG_20120825_152016.jpg

762by54r

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2011
Alright cool, so I def. did misread it then. That's good I was extremely worried there for a little while that the og was 1.46.

As a side not, I had intended to rack this onto some blueberries and vanilla in a secondary once fermentation is complete. I am using d47 (all my brew shop had on hand at the time), I wasn't expecting such a high OG.

In your opinion do you think this will be too sweet in the end? Worse comes to worst I can always try throwing in some 1116 if it's too sweet in the end I suppose.

Last edited:

illuveatar

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 5, 2012
With D47 you'll probably end up with a FG around 1.02-1.03 depending on how high the yeast push the alcohol ceiling. That's pretty sweet but some folks like their meads to be in that range. I'd wait and see.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns