• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Linden Honey Question

Barrel Char Wood Products

haask

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 9, 2011
I have a couple of hives in my backyard and have a lot of different kinds of honey to experiment with. I currently find myself with an abundance of Linden honey.

Now, I don't particularly care for Linden honey. It's very minty, some might say even with a hint of menthol. A good description of it can be found here:

http://www.health-benefits-of-honey.com/basswood-honey.html

I'm afraid to use it to make mead since I don't like the honey much. My question is have any of you made mead with Linden honey? Does the mint come through?

By the way, by far my favorite honey is Goldenrod. Now that makes a good mead!

Ken

ScotRob

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2012
Perth, Scotland
-

I have some Linden mead on the go right now, but it's only about 1 month into the process (fermentation is finished, and I am waitnig for it to clear....has been racked once).

The honey was very minty to start with but when I tasted the mead at racking there was no mint aroma or taste at all (and in fact I am a bit disappointed as I wanted to retain some)....the fermentation was quite rapid and thorough and so the compounds responsible for the mint flavour may have been lost through the airlock....also the mead was very dry and acidic when I tasted it (SG 0.998) , possibly too dry to discern any flavour. I am hoping that when backsweetened it will regain some of the former flavour of the honey. I also added a fair amount of acid blend at start which may also be covering the flavour.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns