• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

FIRST TIME - 4 gallon batch of traditional honey based mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Cattleskull

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2012
Hey ladies and gentleman, new here I'd like to say you guys got a nice forum going on, my name is Peter or you can call me Cattleskull, whichever is fine by me.

Ok now lets get down to business; its been 1 week and 4 days since I sealed the wine bucket and put the airlock on for its 1st racking. Iv'e noticed it percolates with 1 bubble within a 5 to 10 second range. I have two questions, 1) when will the bubbling stop and 2) when will I know when to do the 2nd racking? you know transfer the bucket of mead into the 3 gallon glass jug for its long fermentation process. Here is what I did for my first batch of mead in this order...

-poured 3 gallons of distilled water into wine bucket (not boiled)
-stirred 1 gallon of natural honey (not heated)
-heated the yeast then poured into bucket
-dumped 1 cup of honey bee pollen and stirred

I did not add any energizer or anything or yeast nutrient, everything you see listed is what I did.

Thanks!

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
As far as I can see, that batch would be termed as a "show" mead. A "traditional" batch would be the same but with nutrient, energiser, etc.

That might sound pedantic, but they are worlds apart.

Why ? Well honey is pretty much devoid of nutrients and the like naturally, so while it is feasible to continue "as is" it will likely be a very long, slow ferment.

If you obtained something like FermaidK, fermax or similar, it will make the ferment progress a lot quicker.

If you don't already have one, a hydrometer and test jar are almost essential for fermentation management.

Have a read of the Newbee guide linked in the left hand yellow box, and that should give you enough info to work out how you want to progress.......

Cattleskull

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2012
Thank you, so my question is, how long do you think it'll have to stay in the bucket until I can transfer it into the 3 gallon jug for fermentation? its been 1 week and 5 days. Yes I do have a hydrometer and test tube. Do you suggest I open up the bucket and scoop up a cup of mead and put the hydrometer in to test what?

Cattleskull

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2012
Ok cool, so when should I transfer the mead into its 2nd stage, putting it into the class 3 gallon jug for its long fermentation process?

I hear some people wait 2 to 3 weeks before doing that. Should I wait one more week?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns