• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Storm Prep...

Barrel Char Wood Products

WyldWytch

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 29, 2012
Morganville, NJ
With the impending storm gathering up to slam into us within the next 24-36 hours it got me thinking.

What would I have done with my bees had I started my apiary this year? So my question to all you beeks who keep bees where you get severe weather, what do you do to prep your bees and keep them safe?

Rosie

Intheswamp

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 9, 2012
South Alabama
With the impending storm gathering up to slam into us within the next 24-36 hours it got me thinking.

What would I have done with my bees had I started my apiary this year? So my question to all you beeks who keep bees where you get severe weather, what do you do to prep your bees and keep them safe?

Rosie

Depends on your location.

Low lying areas prone to flooding...there are two, possibly three things. One is to move the hives to higher ground. Of course you have to have the higher ground to move them to and the ability to move them. The second option is to do nothing, secure yourself and loved ones and "what will be, will be" with the bees and other belongings. Top entrances, though, will allow the bees to exit the hive if water starts rising around/inside the hive. I know during the last flooding in Louisiana a beek that after the storm moved out and the flood waters were rising that he simply took the tops off of his hives (he had lots of them) and let the bees save themselves...he lost many/most of them but they survived to contribute to the feral population.

Wind...t-posts driven beside the hives and hives tied to them. Mobile home tie-downs installed on either side of the hives and a strap holding down the hives...basically anchoring the hives down to keep them from toppling over from the wind. Airborne objects could still knock them over. I would avoid anchoring them to solid fences or light-weight outbuildings that might be blown over...same goes for questionable trees. Again, securing yourself and family is the primary concern.

At a minimum increase the number of bricks, stones, etc., on the covers to keep them from being blown off....a ratchet strap going completely around the hive would secure it together.

Not much more you can do other than stopping up the entrances with #8 hardware cloth, ratchet strapping them, and moving them into a secure building. You must be sure you have them completely closed up...you don't want to deal with a swarm of bees in a building during a hurricane! This will only work if you have a few hives and the hives are small enough to be moved...hand-trucks can help here as does level ground. ;) But, a deep and medium hive should be within reason of most people in good health to lift.

Wind, wind-driven objects, and rising water. Those are the things to prepare for. But, having said all of that, there are beekeepers down in Florida that basically don't do anything, they may have thousands of hives...they "wait and see"....and say a prayer.

Ed

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com

Rosie

I have a windy apiary, so if it's forecasted for severe winds, I might ratchet-strap the boxes together.

For winter, I do a bunch of winter prep; protecting the boxes from moisture and wind, and making sure they have air. This might mean giving them an entrance above the average snow line, or making sure I clear the entrances off after the storm.

I had bad luck last year with my hives and moisture (I used hay bales as a wind break and they ended up working against me with the wet snow), so this year I moved them into an old horse run-in. It stays at the ambient outdoor temps, but is really protected from the wind without me hazarding the moisture damage. Wintering bees is still a work in progress for me.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I was kind of wondering what you have to do for wintering bees when it gets frigging COLD... (it was -22C this morning)

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
I was kind of wondering what you have to do for wintering bees when it gets frigging COLD... (it was -22C this morning)

Yowza. I think if I lived in that kind of climate, and still wanted to keep bees, I would winter them in a cellar, where the temps stayed a lot warmer than that. I know they keep -- and over winter -- bees in cold parts of Canada, but I gather it's a real challenge!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns