• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead Tasting

Barrel Char Wood Products

dingurth

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 23, 2012
Brooklyn , NY
I'll preface this with that some of the comments I got on my mead are a bit vulgar, but that's college life for you. So if you might be easily offended don't read that part.

So I've now been making mead for over seven months, and as much as I want to drink it all myself, I felt like I should share some with my friends. For my Mead Tasting/Party, I had three flavors for everyone's enjoyment Orange Spice (really JAOM, but I just didn't want to explain the acronym all night), Apple Cinnamon, and a Raspberry. The most popular was the JAOM (good thing since I had 11 bottles), but many people also really enjoyed the Apple Cinnamon. The Raspberry was probably the favorite amongst the girls. The Apple was really dry at 1.004, and the JAOM was extra sweet at 1.058 (the Raspberry was in the middle at 1.027). It was generally agreed that while the Orange Spice was the best tasting, it could probably be a little less sweet. Next time, I will try to get it between 1.03 and 1.04. I might let it run dry and try to backsweeten to taste now that I know how it is liked. This event was a resounding success, and a lot of people on here helped contribute to that, so thanks and I thought you might want to hear how it went!

Some of the comments I received on the mead:

"I honestly thought this was going to be terrible. I didn't think something made in your room could be this good. I am floored."

*after pouring a friend about two ounces of JAOM as a sample and him tasting it*
"Ummm... can I get a full cup?"

"This shit is REALLY dangerous... I could drink this all night."

"How much for five bottles?"

*note this was a cute girl, and I had just told her there wasn't much mead left*
"I'd do anything if you let me have my own bottle..."
*it killed me, but I declined the offer*

"Screw computer science dude, you should just make this for a living."

*one of my male friends*
"Why are you giving this out to guys? You clearly have no idea what you have here. Just give this to a bunch of girls and this will make them so wet you would have no problem hooking up with them."

I have a couple batches that will be done in the next month or two, but for the most part, I am going to be saving my mead for the next tasting in the spring. Hopefully that one will go as well!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Or keep your secrets and see what you can get from your friends :)

I keep having people ask me how much for a bottle, my new answer is "1 kg of honey."

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake

I keep having people ask me how much for a bottle, my new answer is "1 kg of honey."

That's brilliant!

*note this was a cute girl, and I had just told her there wasn't much mead left*
"I'd do anything if you let me have my own bottle..."
*it killed me, but I declined the offer*

*one of my male friends*
"Why are you giving this out to guys? You clearly have no idea what you have here. Just give this to a bunch of girls and this will make them so wet you would have no problem hooking up with them."

And you wonder why Ken famously refers to mead as the ultimate panty remover?

Matrix4b

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 17, 2008
Denver Colorado
also known as LPR, aka liquid panty remover....

I have heard that too.

My Raspberry Thyme got many non-verbal comments. Some of them moans of pleasure. I guess that I need to find the right parties.

One verbal comment that was common was "Mine!"

Now It sounds like you haven't had much time to age it. I have made a number of batches. I am eagerly waiting for my Chocolate and Chocolate Mint to finish aging. Only at 6 months and I have heard that it takes 2 years to come into it's own. I am only going to give it a year and 1/2 to age because at 1/2 year it was too bitter. I used 2 pounds of cocao nibs in a 5 gal batch with them. The oils take long time to break down. Same with bannana from what I heard.

I am really looking forward to my Mojito Mead: Lime Vanilla Mint mead. It's in the secondary, need to add a bit more mint extract, only used 1/4 teaspoon of home made extract.

So I understand. Cheers. You keep brewing and you do get much better brews. My most complex one I am starting on Sunday, Ameretto Cream Bochet.

Matrix
(oh, and it's really easy to make vanilla extract that will knock any baker's socks off to use)

delvorak

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 4, 2012
Columbus, OH, USA
I have heard that too.

My Raspberry Thyme got many non-verbal comments. Some of them moans of pleasure. I guess that I need to find the right parties.

One verbal comment that was common was "Mine!"

Could you share the recipe for the raspberry thyme?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

K5MOW

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2011
Friendswood TX
That's very cool. I am for the first time going to make a JAO. I have been making mead now for two years and never try the JAO. Can't wait till it is done.

Roger

Matrix4b

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 17, 2008
Denver Colorado
Could you share the recipe for the raspberry thyme?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Yes sure:

Primary:
12 pounds of Alfalfa honey
2 packtes of Lavin D47 yeast
1 tablespoon of yeast Energizer (DAP)
1 tablespoon of yeast nutrient
4 gal of water
1 teaspoon of powdered Gypsm

Secondary:
112 oz of Red Raspberrries (rendered to juice and de-seeded*)
1 oz of Lightly toasted oak
1 tablespoon of Thyme leaves Fresh just the tiny leaves bruised

Back sweetened after stabilzation: 8 pounds of honey in 1/2 gal water.

Process: The primary is a bit of a no brainer as this is a standard honey mead. *Treatment of the raspberries: Froze, Thawed, Run through blender with a bit of pectic enzyme, let sit for 1 hr. Then sift through a screen with a rubber spatual. This will eventually render it down to just pulp and juice, It removes all the seeds and a little of the pulp. A 1/2 cup of water in the blender helps blend it a bit. I just sprinkle a bit of pectic enzyme in the mix.

Now your primary will go nearly dry but addition of the raspberry pulp will activate the yeast again and it will go dry again. I was very suprised at this. So I stabilzed with a bit of Postasium Sorbate and waited a couple of days. Then I added the honey addition of 1/2 gal of water mixed in 8 pounds of honey. I did hit this mix up with the potasium sorbate prior to addition too beacuse I was using unfiltered honey and didn't want to continue with a wild yeast femthon. The Thyme was in a hops bag for easy removal. Thyme leaves are really tiny. I just striped the stalks and bruised them up a bit and in the hops bat for a month. The lightly toasted oak was in for a month too. I did get a lot of lees and a bunch of fluffy pulp that lost lots of volume in the bottom, I did top up once with some water. This eventually made 6 gal but started out as a 5 gal. The thing was the raspberry pulp was about 1 1/2 gal worth.

Hope this helps.
Matrix

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns