• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Slow start on my JAO..

Barrel Char Wood Products

EFBacon

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2012
VA
Hey everyone!

So I started two new batches of JAO tonight, one of them is a variation b/c I felt like trying something different. The other is the same as the normal JAO but with vanilla, just to try it out. I had success doing a Blackberry variant--it came out great and I didn't have enough to go around to friends of mine that didn't get to try it! :) The variant I'm trying this time is with lemons instead of oranges, and I switched the optional ingredients around a bit.

Other than what I've just mentioned, I have done the recipes exactly as directed. I have had success with all my previous batches of JAO, even the variants--the problem I'm having this time however, is that the fermentation seems to be starting VERY slowly. I know that some take longer to start, and that you just need to be patient, but I'm just curious to get anyone's input who might have had the same issue, and if they've found it to be a problem with their bread yeast? I wouldn't normally be concerned, and I know I've "voided the warranty" by changing things up..lol..but all my previous JAO's have not taken this long to start bubbling and going crazy. It's been almost 3 hours since I added the yeast.

The yeast I used is, of course, Fleischmann's, and I've had it laying in a drawer for a few months now, maybe 5 or 6 months. I figured that shouldn't matter as long as it's not expired, right? The expiration isn't until over a year from now.

I wondered if temperature might have something to do with it too, but while it's chilly outside we keep the temp fairly even in here, with the thermostat around 74 or so.

Any input is welcome of course, thanks everyone. :)

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
23°C is quite warm so I expect that shouldn't be your issue.
I keep my bread yeast in the freezer. Keeping it in a drawer will lessen its live cell count.
It aught to take off, just taking a mite longer as the yeast probably have to multiply a bit.
Also the lemon's quite acidic, I found my lemon JAO to ferment slightly more slowly, and take longer to age.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I keep my yeasts in the fridge, even the bread yeast. There would be no harm in adding an extra teaspoon of yeast if you're impatient for this to get going.

EFBacon

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2012
VA
Ah okay, awesome--I had no idea that I should keep it in the fridge, I think I just figured that if they kept it on a shelf in the store, that a drawer would be fine. :p I'm going to pick up some new bread yeast next time I do a batch and just keep it in the fridge from now on.

I did wind up adding another teaspoon in each and that seemed to get it going a bit, so I think it must have been just a bad idea to be storing the yeast in the drawer.

Thanks again! Everyone here is always so helpful. :)

EFBacon

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2012
VA
Well that much I figured, but I was using yeast that was previously unopened. Like usually when I buy Fleischmann's, it's 6 packs all attached by perforated seams or whatever. I dunno, maybe it was just a bad few packs, aside from the first that I used from it, or...well I dunno. Maybe I should invest in a container of said yeast? I've seen that they are sold in containers too.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
No, you're right, it should have been OK at room temperature in the sealed packets, unless they were there in the drawer all summer with no AC or something (another reason I leave my yeasties in the fridge). I go through enough with my baking etc that I get it by the scoop in the bulk food store. I don't know if the cake yeast would be any better, I've heard it can be finicky, which does sort of make sense, as it's a live active culture as opposed to the dried stuff which is dormant and therefore more resistant to abuse...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns