• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Idea Batch - Wassail Spiced Cyser

Barrel Char Wood Products

CRaymond36

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2012
Just to preface, I have not been making mead for very long. I currently have Joe's Ancient Orange, the 3-week sweet mead, and a typical show mead using Queen Anne's honey from a local apiary brewing, and they all seem to be going well.

I had an idea for a Wassail Spiced Cyser. I made a Wassail a few years back according to the recipe from Alton Brown, and it turned out awesome. After looking at the ingredients, it all looked very much like a typical spiced cyser. My question for the forums is what you guys think of it, and what amounts of spices and apples I should use since it obviously sounds like alot of spices for the mead. The wassail calls for 6 fuji apples, and a boatload of spices, which i'm wondering what I should cut them down to for this recipe.

Recipe:

1 gallon batch

**Baked apple recipe**
6 small fuji apples (i'm thinking 3 for the mead would be better)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water

**The rest**
10 whole cloves (thinking 2 for the mead)
10 whole allspice berries (thinking 2 here as well)
1 cinnamon stick, 2 inches long (cut in half?)
1 teaspoon ground ginger (too much? maybe half?)
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (too much? maybe half?)
Enough Buckwheat honey to obtain 1.15 starting gravity(see below)

*Process*
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-core apples
-add apples to 8x8 baking dish
-Fill applecores with the brown sugar
-add 1 cup water to dish
-Bake for 45mins or until apples are tender
-cut apples to fit into carboy, and add apples and liquid from baking dish to carboy. Add water to fill up to 4-5 inches from top of carboy
-Empty contents of carboy into large pot, minus the apples. Add spices, yeast energizer, yeast nutrients. Test gravity.
-Add buckwheat honey until gravity of 1.15 is reached.
(Might be a long process here. Warming must, adding honey, cooling to room temperature and then testing gravity till goal reached may take awhile.)
-When target gravity is reached, add back to carboy(with the apples still inside) with enough headroom for foaming, and pitch yeast. I'm thinking KLV-1116.
-Stop fermentation when gravity of 1.02 is reached for a sweet finish.

The wassail recipe calls for madeira and ale. So after fermentation, I could fortify the mead with them if needed.

What do you guys think? What amounts of Apples and Spices do you think I should use? Any other suggestions/comments?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the forum!

This recipe sounds really interesting but I'm aftaid I'm no help for the spicing issue as I have no idea what a wassail tastes like, but if you want to be able to detect the apples at all, you'll probably want to use all 6.

I have found that 10 allspice berries and one 4-6" cinnamon stick in a gallon of mead do not take over the whole mead, but you're probably bang on with the clove

Also, your procedure includes stopping fermentation when you get to a certain SG, how were you planning to accomplish this? It's often easier to just let it go as far as it's going to go, let it clear a bit, rack it off whatever yeast has settled out, stabilize it and then backsweeten with more honey.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns