• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Oregon Puree to Fresh equivalents

Barrel Char Wood Products

CRaymond36

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2012
Hello,
I have decided to make a blackberry and blueberry mix melomel.

Using the mead calculator, I have decided on the following:

--one gallon batch
3lb honey (clover)
1.5 lb blackberries
2 lb blueberries
lalvin 71-b yeast (14% alcohol tolerance)

starting gravity: 1.122
potential abv: 15.77%

With the above, i'm guessing the yeast will hit their tolerance level and the mead will end up with a little residual sugar unless the yeast decide to push past their 14% tolerance. If it is too dry, i'll backsweeten later.

Knowing the above, my question is this. Its obviously out of season for the berries, and i've decided to try using the Oregon puree from my local homebrew shop. I tried googling around, but I can't seem to figure out any conversions for how much of each puree equals a pound of fruit.

I saw on their site that the seeds of berries are usually 12% of the weight, and pits are usually 20%. This seems inconsistent.

Anyone know of a resource that explains the proper equivalents?

drako824

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 26, 2012
twin cities area, Minnesota, USA
the website for my homebrew store says to use 10-15% less puree than fresh/frozen fruit
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/blueberry-vintner-s-harvest-fruit-puree.html
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/blackberry-vintner-s-harvest-puree.html

This 49 oz. can of Oregon fruit puree is prepared from blackberries grown in Oregon's fertile Willamette Valley. Commercially sterilized and containing no preservatives, you can add this puree directly to your primary or secondary fermenter to flavor beer, mead, or wines. As the puree contains no seeds, add 10-15% less puree as you would fresh/ frozen fruit. One 49 oz. can will make 1 gallon of fruit wine. Make sure to never boil the puree as it can create some off flavors.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns