• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

starting gravity?????

Barrel Char Wood Products

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
5 gallon recipe called for 10 lbs honey (2 qt bottles)(dry mead)
6 tsp acid blend
2.5 pectic enzyme
4 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pack red star premier cuvee

fermented well for 4 days (started feb 1, 13), seems to be done, which seems early to me
My notes say starting gravity 1.016, theres a possibility I misread, but Im pretty positive about 1.016. After reading this site 1.016 sounds low. Have I started without enough honey?

Nope didnt check gravity today. Seems 1 kid returned home, and brought 4 (8 and under)grandkids with her. I have been packed up, and stored. SOMEWHERE!

Maybe just add more honey, repitch, buy new hydrometer

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Usually, a quart of honey is only about 3 pounds.

If you did use 10 pounds that is enough to get a starting gravity of around 1.075. That is enough to make a nice 10% ABV mead so you make not need more.

You really do need to check the gravity.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
Usually, a quart of honey is only about 3 pounds.

If you did use 10 pounds that is enough to get a starting gravity of around 1.075. That is enough to make a nice 10% ABV mead so you make not need more.
/QUOTE]

Hmmm, Plastic milk bottles were about 3 1/2 inch square, I'd still say quarts. So I guess I need more, probably yeast again, and wont buy honey from that source again. Guy has a strange scale.

Marshmallow Blue

NewBee
Registered Member
Was it in a "mini" gallon jug like this one?
minnesota-clover-honey-3-lb_1.jpg

Those size jugs are 3lbs

Meldin

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Did your bottles look like this?
pic1
pic2

For reference, the jar on the right side of the second pic is a wide mouth quart jar. The jug of honey on the left is 5 lbs of Costco brand honey, so you could have the right amount, if your honey came in containers about that size.

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
Well friday I will get new hydrometer to check gravity. They are not so expensive I'm gonna empty all those boxes
Its definatly not blowing bubble in the airlock anymore.
Its not clearing either

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Just be careful, that can break pretty easy apparently. Also it may take longer to clear, just be patient.

Wow I'm tired, my brain parsed that sentence as "it may take longer to be patient."

Sometimes even when there is no airlock activity apparent, the yeast are still wiggling around finishing off the last little bits of sugar, eventually they'll realize they're done and settle out, but if you're going to add more honey, you're going to want to do that while the yeast is still active.

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
new hydrometer says water 1.000
mead .990
Tongue says YUCK. Spit it out. no honey flavor. I've never actually had Mead before but this is disgusting.
Kind of fizzed on tongue, like peroxide

Stirred it with wine thief , did not release gas bubbles, but liquid in thief was fizzy.

Spit, spit , spit. yucky. Have cleansed palate with budweiser, can still taste it

And thats the scientific report from Hell Michigan

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
Same batch
While waiting for it to clear, it has started fermenting again. Bubble lock going like crazy. Im positive it was .99 last week

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
All seems to be well. starting to clarify about 1/3 way down 5 gallon bottle sg.990 and holding

Now is probably a good time to discuss, cold crashing, sodium metebisulphate, and or potassium sorbate (next 3 days supposed to be high 38F low 20) maybe a little warmer in unheated garage)Chemicals before / during crash

While I will try to retain a couple bottles for years, will probably only last 2 at most.
I'm not sure I understand bulk aging, in carbouy with airlock, in a room that probably varies 68/ 78F on bedroom floor? Or feel safer corked bottles same floor

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns