• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Sleepy time mead?

Barrel Char Wood Products

obscured by clouds

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2012
3rd Rock from the Sun
I figure everyone is allowed one stupid question per hobby. Here is mine.

At the end of the night I often like tea's that have sleepy properties. All sorts with different natural plants and such. Only downside is most do not have pleasant flavors but put enough honey and it's all good! ;D

Looking into the chemicals of the plants and herbs, I was wondering if the same can be done with mead? However I have no idea if these two things are even compatible to start with no less on dosage and taste. Will the chemicals in the plants even be effective in mead?

Thoughts suggestions?

Cheers!

obscured by clouds

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2012
3rd Rock from the Sun
The short answer is yes. I like that! Checked out the book and looks like something I should have to my collection. It had me at psychotropics ;D

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I guess I can devote sometime and check it out. Cheers!

Bob1016

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
Lupullin (active ingredient in hops) is a proven sleep aid! Hopped mead is pretty good (dry hopped atleast, 0.5oz/gal is what I've liked).

ox45

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 11, 2013
Buffalo, NY
What about steeping some chamomile flowers either directly in the mead or into a tea that is added? I love my chamomile sleepy time tea and I think it has a lovely flavor, and even better with honey added to it!

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Chamomile is one of the traditional ingredients in some Belgian beers, so it works fine in alcohol. Hops, as mentioned, are great for sleepiness. Catnip will also make you sleepy. And the list goes on...

I'm pretty sure I've seen people use Sleepy Time in meads around here too, might be worth a search.

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
and lavender. there, thats quite the cocktail.

My personal advice is to steep the herbs directly in secondary in a grain bag or something. No need to boil up a tea separately, the alcohol will extract what you need just fine.

Marshmallow Blue

NewBee
Registered Member
Lupullin (active ingredient in hops) is a proven sleep aid! Hopped mead is pretty good (dry hopped atleast, 0.5oz/gal is what I've liked).

How hoppy does it come out in that amount? I'm sure the type of hops may change it a bit but is it closer to an ipa or something light? Or in between.

Since this is going pretty herbal, lavender honey has a nice aroma that I think would pair nicely with the chamomile.

If you have the availability, you can find a local loose leaf tea store, they are going to have quite a few options and definitely knowledge about different sleep aid like ingredients.

Bob1016

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
My dry hop of choice is EKG, super fresh, and it comes out nice: some spice, fruitiness, and good overal floral hop quality. If I want citrusy I'd rather put a grapefruit in the fermenter than use American hops to dry hop, but this is a personal prefernce. If you fermented your mead with oak (most of mine are) then the EKGs blend really well with the oak and simultaneously bring out the floral quality of the honey. I imagine lavender honey would work great but I've never used it, palm is excellent because it has a slightly woody flavor, again with the oak and hops its great.
I want to try using year old hops next, to give some tannins (plus what ever comes from the short oak contact), but most of my old hops go into old mild (X ale) recipes.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Dry hopping won't impart bitterness, just the flavor and aroma oils in the hops. So you'll usually get contributions like flowery, piney, citrusy, etc depending on the hop variety.

Meldin

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Valerian root is a great addition, but I definitely agree on the very potent smell. My wife can't get to sleep easily without a cup of Celestial Seasoning's Sleepytime Extra, which includes valerian root on top of their normal soothing ingredients, but it does stink (but hey, the cats love the smell!). On the other hand, sometimes the store doesn't have Sleepytime Extra, but they have Bedtime tea made by either Traditional Medicinals or Yogi (I can't remember which off the top of my head), which also has valerian root, but includes orange peel, licorice root, and marshmallow root, and they cover up the valerian taste and smell quite nicely. So if you want to go the valerian route, you may have an option if you throw in some of the other roots as well.

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
The ancient benzodiazepine, diazepam, was given the trade name Valium in honor of Valerian.

Thanks, Medsen, for the awesome link.

Bob1016

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
I can vouche for citrus blossoms in general. We used to make a tea out of them and it would put us to sleep easily, too bad we don't have those trees anymore (thank you Wilma).
I think a citrus blossom mead would be amazing, I wouldn't use OB honey though, talk about one dimensional!;)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns