• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

The Vikings on History Channel

Barrel Char Wood Products

wintermute2

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Feb 4, 2013
Seaford, NY
I'm surprised that no one's posted a thread on this show, this being a mead forum and everything. Has anyone watched the show yet? It's sitting on my DVR, waiting until I have some free time. I'm a big fan of the old Ernest Borgnine/Kirk Douglas/Tony Curtis movie (although Tony Curtis' very short tunic worn throughout the movie makes me feel uneasy), and hoping that Ragnar gets to kick major a$$ in this new series.

I'll hopefully have some spillage from re-racking my JQGM this evening to enjoy during the show.

Vandall

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 13, 2012
Clinton Township Michigan
I watched it yesterday and it was pretty good, although a little slow. It seemed to be be just setting the stage for bigger things to come. I enjoyed it but am hoping for better future episodes.

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
Haven't watched it yet, but I've seen the preview featuring Odin. The depiction of The Old Man as The Wanderer was perfect and amazing and gave me goosebumps.

wintermute2

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Feb 4, 2013
Seaford, NY
I saw that preview as well. It got me excited for the series - nice to add a bit of the supernatural to historical fiction.

Guinlilly - I just noticed that you're from "the other" Seaford.

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
I saw that preview as well. It got me excited for the series - nice to add a bit of the supernatural to historical fiction.

Guinlilly - I just noticed that you're from "the other" Seaford.

I had noticed, after posting, that you're from "the other" Seaford. ;) Didn't even know of one in NY!

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com
I dvr'ed and watched last night. Not must see or anything. I did add a timer to get all new episodes. I'll watch them as I get time.

It was slow, and dark. At one point, the commercials came on and I felt like the sun just came out. It was twilight and I had no lights on. The change in brightness on the TV almost hurt my eyes. ;)

I did not watch any older versions, so no idea how it compares.

Given how bad tv is now days, even on the history channel, i had very low expectations. I will say it exceeded them! It was actually scripted and had acting. Not "reality" style which i really hate. So i give it kudo's for that. :p

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns