• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

can I use a 3 gallon carboy for a 1 gallon batch?

Barrel Char Wood Products

chefjoe250

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 12, 2013
simple question. this is my first go at making mead. I'm making a JAOM.

Thanks for your help ;D

chefjoe250

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 12, 2013
a bit confused, sorry this is my very first mead. In the JAOM recipe in the 'newbee' area does not state anything about aging. it simply says to leave it alone for two months. Should I do that? if not...how when I know when it is time to switch it over?

Thanks Again!!

psychopomp23

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2012
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
a bit confused, sorry this is my very first mead. In the JAOM recipe in the 'newbee' area does not state anything about aging. it simply says to leave it alone for two months. Should I do that? if not...how when I know when it is time to switch it over?

Thanks Again!!

Sorry about that, here's the definition of aging from this forum (when you see words underline you can click on them and see the description)' Holding the mead in an airlocked vessel or bottle for six months to a number of years in order to allow the changes that occur after fermentation to make the wine mellower or more pleasing to drink.'

The JAOM recipe are meads that are more 'ready to drink' in a few months and so don't age that much

chefjoe250

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 12, 2013
Sorry about that, here's the definition of aging from this forum (when you see words underline you can click on them and see the description)' Holding the mead in an airlocked vessel or bottle for six months to a number of years in order to allow the changes that occur after fermentation to make the wine mellower or more pleasing to drink.'

The JAOM recipe are meads that are more 'ready to drink' in a few months and so don't age that much

That answers my question perfectly. Thanks for all the info!!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns