• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Joam plus dried out bung

Barrel Char Wood Products

r-ice

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2011
Well I made this mead last september I believe and left it in the top kitchen cabinet and forgot about it, its still in the bottle but the water has dried in the bung lock. Is it still safe to consume? or should I toss it???

r-ice

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2011
Well, what does it smell like? If not bad, then give it a taste. Generaly the nose knows!

Problem is I don't know what Joam is supposed to smell like, I will try that later tonight

Riverat

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Well it should smell a bit spicy but unless it smells like rancid vinigar or something gone bad it may be OK, JAOM's are suprisingly resistant to oxidation. if it doesn't smell like you should bury it I'd taste a thinble full.

Vandall

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 13, 2012
Clinton Township Michigan
My wife happened to walk by as I was reading this post and questioned what kind of website I was looking at after reading the title. :mad: It could have a completely different meaning elsewhere. She was OK with it after I explained the whole bung thing.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
My wife happened to walk by as I was reading this post and questioned what kind of website I was looking at after reading the title. :mad: It could have a completely different meaning elsewhere. She was OK with it after I explained the whole bung thing.

I first read it as "dried out dung"
I was thinking "that's a pretty out there JAOv!!"

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Presuming you don't see floating mold colonies or creepy floaties, give it a sniff, if ithat doesn't put you off, have a taste. I don't think there's anything dangerous to you that could be in there that you wouldn't notice visually or by aroma.

JAO's really ARE resistant to oxidation, the only problems I've ever had with them from dried out airlocks was a fruit fly infestation.

r-ice

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2011
Okay results are in, smelt spicy but awful taste. Was in there for like 8 months. Very alcohally taste. Pour it out. Ill have to try again.

Kelvin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2012
Indiana
wish I could forget about my brews and meads like that. I'm always too anxious. Hell, I have a barleywine aging that I'd already "tested" about 6 bottles of after only about a month.... I'm bad : (

Just a note.. the tests were not good but I drank it anyway : )

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns