• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hydrometer Reading

Barrel Char Wood Products

Lanhiam

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 7, 2013
Hello everyone, I just made a mead recipe on /04/06/13 and I did not take a reading with my hydrometer. I would enjoy knowing the actual alcohol content in my mead. Can someone please help me find out how much it was before? I do not know how often I should even take a reading for that matter. I am still learning and I would like all the help I can get on this topic. Can someone tell me when I need to first take a reading and then how many times after? The recipe is
5-7lbs Honey
2 lbs. Sugar
5 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
4 cans of Welches Cherry Grape Apple
2 packets of Lalvin 71B-1122
4 gallons of water
The Procedure was as followed:
Heat 1 gal water to 170.
Add:
Honey
2 lbs. Sugar
5 tsp. Yeast Nutrient

Stir until Dissolved!
Bring back up to 180

Add 4 cans of Lemonade Frozen Concentrate

Bring back up to 180

Add at least 1 Gallon of FILTERED water to cool off before you transfer it into the Carboy.

Let cool to room temp then Transfer your mixture into your carboy.

If there is any pulp/seeds/sediment. A smart thing to do is filter it out. You can ether get a screen or cheese cloth. Depending on how big your pulp/seeds/sediment determines what to use. I have a fine plastic round screen that fits into the funnel. Works well for seeds and fine pulp.

Add (pitch) 1 packet of Yeast, and add more Filtered water. Then shake/swirl to mix! There is no need to rehydrate the yeast. There is plenty of water to activate it. If you would like to rehydrate the yeast that is fine. Just do not add water to your mix until you put find out how much room to leave for the rehydrate yeast.

Depending on your Recipe depends on how much room you need to leave at the top for Air/foam. For this one you can go a little further than i have.

The reason why it is a must that you leave room for the air is Because of the foam / bubbles that will form while fermenting. You do not! DO NOT!! Want the foam to reach your air lock. It can compromise your Brew.

It will be ready about 4 weeks to bottle!!

aaron1983

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 25, 2013
I am seeing 1.053 - 1.067 if you are using 5 gallons of water. This is without the lemonade, I don't have the data for sugar content on lemonade concentrate, so it would bring it up a little for sure.

As for how often to take a reading? Personally, I take one daily when I degas my must. One thing to take into consideration, if you are using lemonade, your pH levels might fall to undesired levels. Get yourself some test strips (or a meter) and some potassium carbonate to have on hand to keep your pH levels at around 3.2-3.8.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
You can always do a spirit indication test when it's all finished, you compare the SG of your finished brew with that of a sample where the alcohol has been boiled out and replaced with the same volume of water, from this you can figure out how much ethanol you removed. Do a search on "spirit indication" and you should be able to find more detailed instructions including the website I use once I've got numbers.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns