• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

not clearing

Barrel Char Wood Products

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
My February plain mead not clearing worth a ------
!0 lbs honey, bread yeast water
It was a fairly dark yellow, cleared about 1/3 down early april, reracked it and added bentonite, now its a lighter yellow and hazy top to bottom, Added hot sparkolloid last friday, still hazy top to bottom.
Storing on floor unheated garage, was 32f to 60 last couple weeks

Late Feb Blueberry Mead, cleared to a beautiful light purple, not as sweet as when bottled a month ago, but everyone loves it.
22 lbs honey, step feed from 12, 1 gallon crushed blueberry's added at 1.1, started with breadyeast, added premere cuvo (?speeling)when it slowed down, and started steping 3 lbs at a time

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
How long has it been since you mixed in the bentonite? It can take a 2 weeks+ to settle out in my limited experience using it. I haven't tried sparkaloid myself but that is supposed to work really well.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Do you know the FG of the mead?

It's still very young, I'd not be surprised if it is a bit cloudy still. Time helps.

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
Mead was .99
I'd check it again but grandkids (1 1/2) were in garage again, need another hydrometer again
Supposed to go to 31 tonight, maybe I'll leave garage door open

Swordnut

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 26, 2013
Holland
Hazy sound good to me. Give it time and a good cold crash for a week. Then give it time, should clear up. Patience is golden with mead x3​

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, you really do need to degas before you use fining agents. Stirring it all up again might help too, it will bring more of the particles of your fining agent into contact with the little particles you want it to stick to. As much as stirring up something sort of clear so it becomes really cloudy again does seem counterintuitive, the more particles that come in contact with each other, the more likely they are to stick together and become big enough particles to fall out faster.

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
YUCK
Still hazy but can see outline of my hand other side of 6 gallons
.998 still
tastes real citrus'y to me,
I did not add any citrisc acid
I suppose if it was lemonade I could backsweeten
No sign of any wine fingers on the drinking glass
Aroma, sorry my nose does not function correctly

No sign of nausea yet either

Is it saveable?
Add more honey and repitch?

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
found recipe
maybe I did citric

5 gallon recipe called for 10 lbs honey (2 qt bottles)(dry mead)
6 tsp acid blend
2.5 pectic enzyme
4 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pack red star premier cuvee

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Your best bet at this point is to put it away and forget about it for a few months. With time, most meads will clear, and the honey character will start to return. You added a lot if acid, and that may mean you'll need to backsweeten to bring it back into balance, but you can decide later, after it clears.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
I may have to make beer.
I'm going thru alcohol deprivation waiting on mead

Yeah, that's a good reason to start with making beer first -- there's only a 1 month wait before you have something ready to enjoy. Or better, start with making 5 batches of mead your first week and then switch to beer for the next year or two while the mead matures.

Swordnut

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 26, 2013
Holland
I've had multiple batches, the same as yours with just the honey, water and bread yeast (i.e. super cheap, super basic). All of them cleared up on their own to become as clear as water, golden water that is. I've used no fining agents or other chemicals.

All I did was rack after primary, after secondary I put the whole thing in the fridge on its highest setting for a week. It would still be hazy after that but I blame it on the frequent opening/closing of the door. I placed them in a closet where they wouldn't be stirred and after a week = crisp clear.

In fact, I still have 1 10l batch in secondary, same recipe, which is already clearing up to near-total clarity without the cold crash and currently enjoying some oak cubes. I plan to rack off the remaining lees and oak and then give it its cold crash.

So not sure what could go wrong with this procedure, apart from the more experienced mead makers here objecting to bread yeast or the low-tech approach, etc, as far it comes to clearing up I've never had any problem.

Primary > Secondary > Cold Crash Secondary > Sit for a Week > Crisp Clear​

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
I just checked.
Sediment getting deeper still, but still cant see my hand on other side of carbouy.
Continuing to wait.
I"ve got time, I'm only 62

Swordnut

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 26, 2013
Holland
I just checked.
Sediment getting deeper still, but still cant see my hand on other side of carbouy.
Continuing to wait.
I"ve got time, I'm only 62

And you're already in Hell anyway :p

Time is your friend I guess :/ Just how cold was your cold crash?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns