• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Killing off the yeast question

Barrel Char Wood Products

1eightdevils

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 2, 2013
Vandalia OHIO
Hi everyone,

I back sweetened my five gallon mead on the 20th of this month, which the sg went from 1.000 to 1.020. As I thought the yeast started to eat up all the new honey again. I am going to wait and sweeten again but this time I want to kill off the yeast. I was wondering what the best chemicals to use that wont change the taste of the mead. Also what the best method of adding them to the batch would be.
Thanks

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Thanks, but what would you suggest if you dont have the means of cold crashing a 5 gallon carboy.
You let the ferment finish completely, so its fermented dry. Then its racked off the sediment onto the sulphites and sorbate to stabilise it. Then it can be back sweetened to the desired level.

The cold crashing is only necessary to try and kill off the yeast to stop a ferment - its a rather imprecise method - to leave residual sugars.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, you want to add your stabilizing chemicals before you backsweeten, otherwise, well, you know what happens because that's what your batch is doing. If you've got more honey, let this go dry and start to clear if it's not already clear, rack and stabilize it, then try backsweetening again.

I've also just kept sweetening it to where I want and letting it get eaten until it finally stays where I want it, but this could take a while and a lot of honey and also boost your alcohol concentration beyond where you wanted it, the higher the alcohol content, the longer it usually takes to be drinkable.

Swordnut

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 26, 2013
Holland
Cold crashing as close to freezing point but not freezing as you can for a week will stop a fermentation dead in its tracks. However a lot of strains wont die and the moment you add new stuff to it it'll start up within 24 hours again.

I once cold crashed an apple cider for a week before backsweetening it with sugar then cold crashed it for another week before setting it aside to age. Within 24 hours the yeast were fermenting again so, cold crashing alone will not kill yeast. Only when you've fermented until dry you could use cold only to clear up your mead and store it (some guys, as do I, like the no chemicals approach).

Sulphites will impart a minute taste to your mead as it does to wine. However since mead is sweet (you're backsweetening after all) it will counteract the taste far better than a wine could.

I suggest as said above; ferment until dry, cold crash for a week, rack off the lees, add sulphites, cold crash for another week.​

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Cold crashing as close to freezing point but not freezing as you can for a week will stop a fermentation dead in its tracks. However a lot of strains wont die and the moment you add new stuff to it it'll start up within 24 hours again.

Cold crashing will not kill yeast. It just won't. It'll make them go dormant until you warm it back up... then if there's still sugar left, they'll get right back to work. As you've seen with your experiences, Swordnut.

When the yeast are cold and dormant, they don't wiggle around, so they settle out quickly and your mead will become clear, that's the big reason you cold crash, is to get as much of the yeast to settle out as possible so your chemicals have the maximum effect on the yeast cells that are left after you rack off of what's settled out. But don't ever expect that it will permanently stop fermentation, fermentation can even still happen at refrigerator temperatures, it's just really slow.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns